1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headache Rack preference?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wxmn6, May 8, 2003.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

What is your preferred headache rack configuation, and why?

1. Open rack, frame run all around the rear window, nothing in the center.

2. Frame running all around the rear window with some bars in the center (horizontal or vertical).

3. Frame running around the center of rear window with some bars in the center. (similar to BackRack)

4. Frame running all around the rear window, with mesh fully covered in center.

I am sure there are a few more configuation that I could not think of now. But would like to see how you guys prefer the setup and if the bars in the center give you some difficulity backing up especially at night?

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The rack i made has 2 vertical bars in it,placed so you cannot see either out the rear view mirror.

I have a CDL and drove tandem dump for a while,you quickly learn to use your mirrors as there's nothing to see in the rear window except a dump body so i've never been to concerned with anything blocking the rear window.With all the backing up involved in plowing,i couldn't imagine having to turn my head everytime i needed to go in reverse:dizzy:

3. kojak

kojak Member

I designed mine with a removable mesh center panel. This way you can have visibility, and put it back on when your hauling anything loose.

Actually I've always considered a headache rack and back rack to be the same thing and used either term when talking about them. What's the difference?

Last edited: May 8, 2003
  4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I dunno?I also thought they were the same thing:waving:

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I like as much coverage as possible.Prevents people from getting into the sliding rear window too,and offers more protection\versatility.

A headache rack and a back rack are basically the same thing,the latter being a trademarked name for one brand of racks which became popular.

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I think it all depends on why you want one on your truck. The main reason they are called "headache racks" is because they protect the driver and passengers from getting hit in the head with whatever is not tied down in the bed if you get into an accident.

With that said, I think a rack that is strong enough to protect you from what you plan on hauling, while at the same time allows you visibility behind you is best. The hard part is finding a happy medium. That's where the Backrack came in. It does not block your vision too much, protects the cab and window, and gives you a place to mount your antenna and lights. You can also use it as a tie down point when hauling certain items in the bed.

The reason you see so many of the full expanded wire mesh headache racks, is because they offer the most protection. Remember, a shovel flying @ 50 MPH through the back window could easily kill you! It makes no difference how good of a driver you are, or how careful you are. If you can't stop because of some idiot pulling out in front of you, or slamming on their brakes for no reason, whatever is in your bed and not tied down will become a projectile coming at the back of your head.

The reason you see so many of the Backracks is because they are "cool" look nice, and give people a place to mount lights and antennas. For those who haul nothing, they offer enough protection.

Personally, I like the full mesh, or as Arc mentioned, a full steel panel like on a dump truck. When I was still in the green biz, the first thing I did when I bought my truck was put on 3/4" exterior plywood sideboards, and used extra 2 x 4's on the front panel to protect the cab.

~Chuck