1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Head problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Garet, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Garet

Garet Senior Member

My friend just sold me a pair of heads for real cheap. They are camel hump heads. Problem is one of the heads has an easy out stuck in one of the intake manifold bolt holes. It is the far outer hole at the front. How would you all recommned I proceed in getting this thing out? The thing must be hardened steel since I can't scratch it will conventional drill bits. If the thing can even be taken out how do I repair or salvage the threads?

2. Silverado84

Silverado84 Junior Member

Why do you want to pull the ez-out ????
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

If I interpret this right, there's a broken bolt in the location you mention which has been drilled & an EZ-Out driven in, and the EZ-Out itself has broken off.

One thing you might want to try (I haven't had to do it myself, so in this case it ISN'T the voice of experience) is heating the EZ-Out up till it's red hot, then let it cool down by itself - no quenching! Hopefully this will remove some of the hardness and allow you to drill the thing out. Carefully locate and centre punch the broken off stub, drill it out with a 1/8" diameter drill first and work your way up gradually in size. Keep your drill speed (RPM's) down and use plenty of oil to keep the drill cool & lubricated during this process.

If that part goes OK you may be able to run a tap (3/8 - 16 UNC) into the hole & salvage the threads. If this is a blind hole, you'll want to get yourself a bottoming tap (threads all the way to the end) to ensure the threads are cleaned out the full length of the hole.

If the threads don't survive the drilling process, check out the possibility of a Heli-Coil thread repair insert.
  4. Garet

Garet Senior Member

easy out

Yeah 75, that's what i am talking about. I am either going to get a carbin drill bit(or is it carbide?) and drill it and and easy out the easy out :) or mig weld something to the easy out and spin it out, or do what you suggest. I am trying to figure out how much a machine shop might cxharge for something like this. Anybody have any ideas?
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmmmm.........EZ-Out the EZ-Out the...........Sounds like an "infinite regression"! ;)

Seriously, since you're only dealing with a 3/8" diameter bolt to start with, by the time you get the EZ-out drilled for another one you'll be getting pretty small. I have a feeling that approach may not work, especially if the first one is already broken off.

How much of a stub is left? If there's a fair bit sticking out, you could try and MIG weld onto it but if it's broken off close to the head you might end up creating more problems for yourself by trying to weld something to it.

Only way to find out what a machine shop will charge is to ask one in your area, preferably one that specializes in automotive machining. Find out how many $ they want, then decide whether to go that route or try to drill out & tap yourself as per the earlier post.

Sorry I can't offer any ideas on a simpler solution, I've always found broken off bolts to be a REAL &^%$@#@$^& :mad: (well, you get the idea!)
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If the h4ead is worth it to you,a good machine shop will be able to get it out.When I worked a the chrysler dealer,we had a machine shop we used,they could get anything out,and if they couldnt they'd drill thru it tand tap,heli coil new threads.We used them because there labor rate was cheaper than ours,and the had the shop at their disposal,so they could do a much better job.Plan on spending at least 50-75 to get it out.