1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Head Lights

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MRut, Dec 5, 2010.

1. MRut

MRut Junior Member

Have 2001 Dodge Quad Cab with 5.9 Gas, Meyers Snow Plow Set Up, the other morning the left headlight was on and the headlight switch was off. Upon checking the right control switch module had shorted out and the "A" wire harness was burnt at the switch. After getting Both Modules and "A and C" Harnesses for the right side, the left headlight was bright and right was dim. I wound up replacing the "B" just as a possible precaution because it had the ground on it. Same results. I have cleaned and replaced the negative cable and cleaned the grounds on the pump motor. Did Not have this problem before module shorted out. Should also state have the same results whether I have the truck lights on or the plow lights on. Does anyone have any ideas!

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Meyer uses these stupid box modules to move the power from plow to truck for the headlights. More less they are a fancy relay. Somewhere you have a ground issue where a wire has rubbed through or melted from the previous short.

My personal opinion is to remove the Meyer set up and run the main truck headlight like they factory and create a secondary system for the plow lights. All you need a a good toggel switch, fuse, relay and some wire. This way your system will bea secondary one and much more relaible. I had more than my fair share of issues with the Meyer lighting in the past and the factory replacement stuff is way too expensive. It is also nice to have to option of a 4 light set up too!!! Just remember to turn one off before hitting the streets.
  3. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

just had this prob with meyer stupid switch..... i did as DAFFMOBILEWASH said..... i went to auto parts store and got a 30 amp 3 position toggle swith and actually just used meyers wires as:

red high beams
    green low beams
    white wire in engine compartment i hooked to battery and used the white as power on new switch.....(saved me from any new wires) just changed location of white.... then pink, blue and brown just lay unused

so now i have a toggle that is up is high beams, middle is off, and down is low beams

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

#1 rule of do it yourself wiring......

I prefer using the metal ones which will actually clear themselves up when they pop/get hot. Most power window circuts use these fuses. They are metal covered and have two male prongs on the backside of them. These are pefect for you never have to replace them if they trip while working. Simpilly turn off the sysem let it sit and a few minutes later you are back up and running. Nothing worse than looking for a 20amp fuse at 3am!!!

Look up a simple wiring diagram using a relay. These relays will make the circut more reliable and less strain on the toggle switch. The covers are usually black and contain 5 prongs on the backside. Go to the junk yard and cut a few for the shop. Get the backside and relay as a whole and sodder wires to the existing ones or get a removal tool for the female ends. With some practice and patience every one will be convinced you are a wiring guru.. Dont forget the plastic wire shield, you need to keep all the wires neet as possible for future additions.

almost forgot. When wiring in the headlamps make sure the power line is keyed up with the ignition. I learned the hard way. Plowed all night and morning. Leaving the head lights on the plow on. Went to bed, wakingt up at 7pm to find my battery was stone dead and almost frozen. Took an hour of messing around to get the diesel jumped... Thought to myself I will never do that again.... Ya right, two weeks later you know the story!!!!
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  5. MRut

MRut Junior Member

Thanks Guys