1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

head light wiring issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hardwoods, Nov 18, 2013.

1. hardwoods

hardwoods Junior Member
    from PA

Have a 1991 f150 that I mounted a western conventional mount plow to. I purchased new the pump and light wiring harnesses. Went by the instructions and was a breeze to install. Turned on the lights and found drivers side lights and parking/turn lights very bright, passenger side very dim. Made sure everything was grounded.. any suggestions to repair this?:help::help:

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Start with the bulb. Also check your connections at bumper and grounds.

3. hardwoods

hardwoods Junior Member
    from PA

replaced bulbs and also switched bulbs side to side to make sure I didnt get a defective bulb. Ran a ground wire directly from the battery to both light housings.. still drivers side bright and passengers side dim.

4. kimber750

Is this the old style wiring that just goes to a switch, no relays?

5. hardwoods

hardwoods Junior Member
    from PA

Yes no relay and directly to 2 position toggle switch.

6. kimber750

This is a very simple setup, only few things can be causing or issue. Something not wired correct. A short or bad ground. Bad bulbs. Double and triple check your connections. Look for any damaged or pinched wires. Unlike the switch would cause one light to be dim. How are the truck lights working? If they are fine it will only leave the wiring after the switch.

7. hardwoods

hardwoods Junior Member
    from PA

Truck lights work great. I'll start checking all the other connections. Thanks for the info!!

8. kimber750

Where in PA?

9. hardwoods

hardwoods Junior Member
    from PA

Gettysburg/Hanover area