1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

head light troubles, 07 Ram with Boss plow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Shoreline, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

My truck is 07 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins and plow is 8'2 Boss V. The trouble I'm having is that if I use my high beams and then switch to low beams, the low beams don't come back on and I'm left driving down the road in the dark. If I pull over and shut the truck off and fire it back up, I'll have low beams again. The wiring harness was new in January 2011. I took it off a 99 Super Duty and installed it on my Ram, bought the proper light adapter for the truck. Everything is installed as it would have been by the dealer. Have any of you had any similar problems or know what the issue is?

2. motormouse172

motormouse172 Member
    from usa

I just realized I have the same problem with 07 Dodge 2500 with a newer Meyers plow. I've had the plow 3 years and the truck 4 years. Never noticed until this year. I only plow my own drive and lot so I have never driven at night a lot until this year. If I stick to low beams no problems. Leave it on high beams and after a while I will have nothing but highs until I shut trtuck off and restart. Something is over loading???????

3. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

The problem happens when the lights "dual"burn, meaning your low and high beams are on at the same time. This overloads them TIPM and thinks there is a safety issue and shuts your low beams down. With these trucks you can only have your low OR high beams on at a time. Mine was simply removing one of the relays from the truck side plow wiring harness. Check your wiring schematic and hopefully it's just as simple for you.

4. motormouse172

motormouse172 Member
    from usa

I have highs and lows. Maybe when highs are on both are on? I think that's what you are saying

5. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

That's what I'm saying.

6. motormouse172

motormouse172 Member
    from usa

Dang I installed plow. Where are the relays? Same as headlight module? I don't remember relays

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Meyer doesn't have dual burn boss does.

Boss you just pull a relay

8. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I have the same problem (I've just learned to avoid using highs). Almost positive my lights don't dual burn either. Will need to double check.

I tried to call Boss about it a while back, but it was lunch time and no techs were available.

9. motormouse172

motormouse172 Member
    from usa

Looking into it a bit more it seems maybe that I need to go to the dealer for a computer flash. Seems Dodge has this problem with plow lights and trailer lights. I will call dealer later and see what they say. Thanks for the help

10. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Did you find a TSB on this then? If so could you post the #? Either way please update with results from dealer. My Ram is an 07 also, 2500.

Thanks

11. motormouse172

motormouse172 Member
    from usa

08-021-06 Rev A is what I found. I'm going to call later and ask. Some say you will have to pay to have the dealer flash puter (which is fine with me).

12. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks.
    Seems specific to 2006 though. I'm not getting any DTC either.
    Good luck with the dealer.

13. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

These DTC's don't set off the check engine light. The mechanic I took my truck to said there were 7 or 8 codes and there was never any indication that codes had been set. Unfortunately he didn't record what the codes were, I wish he had. :-\

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Body codes not dtc

15. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I have a scanner, no codes at all.

16. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

These codes won't show up on the scanners that you and I have.

17. motormouse172

motormouse172 Member
    from usa

I'm not getting any codes. I'm going to call Meyer also

18. motormouse172

motormouse172 Member
    from usa

Meyer called me back and said they have never heard of it. They believe it is a truck side problem. I called the dealer but wasn't able to talk to anyone. Waiting for a call back.

19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You need a modis or similar to pull body codes.

20. motormouse172

motormouse172 Member
    from usa

Dodge dealer said they have never heard of such a thing.