1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

head light switch gets hot

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ajs, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ajs

ajs Junior Member

I was wonder if any body would have any suggestions for me. I put a BOSS plow RT2 v-plow on my truck. It is a 2000 f-250 w 7.3 crew cab, and the switch for the plow head lights (the one you flip when the plow is on) gets very hot when the head lights are on. But it only gets hot when the plow isn't on. I was told to put either a resistor or a realy in betweewn the switch and the truck head lights. I was just looking for some suggetions before I do it.

2. TBElectric

TBElectric Junior Member

You are drawing too much current through that switch. You could end up burning your truck to the ground. You need to use the switch for a 12 volt trigger lead and connect it to the coil of a relay(position 86 on the relay). Position 85 to ground. Position 30 is a fused 12 lead from the vehicle battery and position 87 which is the normally open contact on the relay to the lights. Be sure to use a relay that is rated for the amp draw of the lights.