1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Head Light STROBE Lights"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Any of you guys know about the headlamp strobes
    Do they come in Blue??...How many watts are they?? and how are they installed
    I like to be seen in the parking lots:redbounce Plus if you have the brand names that would help alot
    Snow oi comming this week end yeeeeeeeeeep:yow!:

2. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

Just some tips

It depends were you live but most states require white/yellow lites no matter what kind. Blue is usually for police/fire at least in my state. Some of the better brands are Whelen,Code 3. There are lots to look at just remember a removable light bar is cheaper and way more effective in the day light hours than conceled lighting. If you decide to go with strobes go with all 4 corners and a min. of 95 watt power pack. good luck, happy plowing

3. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

whelen 4-head hide-away stobe system....complete4 heads....power supply...4 15ft coables...$330.....www.awdirect.com...white...cant get blue??..thats illigal

4. me1223

me1223 Member

not up here its not, blue is the colour for plows and plows only, police is red as so is fire, volunteer firefighters have green same with MNR and, ambulances have red and clear.

5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have them in my turnsignals. I got mine from www.lshlights.com Cheapest place around. As for installation, all you have to do is drill a 1 inch whole and run the wires.

6. Daner

We all Got Dee Bluuzzzz

Blue is the colour up here for snow plows...Now i just wonder if the small bulb is blue or yellow Etc....or is there a reflector that has a tint to it ??? Hmmmmmmmm
    Let er snowpurplebou

7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

sorry i dont know the laws in canada,,,,,

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Lshlights.com or southwestpublicsafety.com are the cheapest and best service IMO. I have clear strobes in the front turn signal lights and reverse lights...:eek: :eek: Very effective!

9. Daner

Porter
    Thats a good site www.awdirect.com and they do have blue bulbs...that is the colour[ up here in the snow country...But hell the white ones may kick a$$...but will the coppers get jellous hee hee:)
    I t would be nice to find a dealer here in Canada...anyone know of on???
    Watching the weather maps and streams...It could get good this week end...In the mean time letsssssss:drinkup: Up
    Let Er Snow/SIZE]

10. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

yes, they do come in blue. Also white,red,amber. The only problem is that the ones that are colored are not as bright as the white, furthermore if you
    are going to put them in your headlights, you will find they get washed out
    when the headlights are on.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Check your laws as to headlight installation- most states in the US prohibit strobes in headlights.

The reflectors in hideaways are the reflector in the light you install them in- the bulb is coated to change the color.

12. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

I know up here clear and red strobes are no good in the front of your truck. That being said all the tow truck guys up here run clear strobes front and rear as well as some of the construction vehicles with apparent no issues and they need to get inspected by the OPP or MTO.

13. me1223

me1223 Member

yep, no red lights anywhere on the front of the vehicle, other than that I think you should be ok.

14. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Whelen is a great brand name. I have the CSP690 kit. That means its a 6 outlet 90 watt kit. You want the highest watt you can get(the higher the watts the brighter). The next kit I get is going to be a Tomar brand. They have the neobe flash. Their 60 watt kit is as brighter than whelens 90 watt. As for the color the tube itself is colored.

15. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Does anyone use Meteorlite/Superior Signals? I never see them mentioned and was curious.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yo; Mr plowdude, how do you like the electric SnoWay spreader? Do you do sand, salt or a combo? How long have you used it? I've considered one but have been reluctant becuase iof lack of feedback from pros with hands on experance.:confused:

17. SNHSERV05

SNHSERV05 Junior Member

blue lights

strobes in the headlights do get ( washed out ) the headlamp blocks the strobe when its on, if you really want to be noticed, aw direct also sells L E D strobe lights in multiple colors. put a few of them on plow frame under plow lights or in the grill of your truck and you will be noticed, multiple flash pattern also. I use them on lowbed, and plow trucks ..............and they get everyones attention.................all I hear from people when behind me or in front of me when they are on is SHUT THEM DAM THINGS OFF

18. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I love the spreader. I use straight salt but also put through sand/salt for other contractors. I only had it this year but used it a lot. I would tell everyone to buy one, it is a great machine. Only thing is when your installing the inverted V drill your own holes and mount it higher up.

I just put a set of their beacons on my saftey rack. I have ordered four beacons from them and 2 out of the 4 were messed up. For the price I would go with whelen or even the AW Direct brand from AW Direct.