1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Head light problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DodgeRam1985, Dec 28, 2006.

1. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab, and recently I have encountered a problem. Whenever I have the head lights on, and go to shut them off, the parking lights and fog lights will turn on (even if I never pulled the switch to have the fog lights on). Generally speaking if you turn the switch back and forth numerous times (generally 6 or more times) you can get them all to shut off. I do not have my plow setup on the truck, or the wiring for the lights, (screw Ohio and their rain with 50 degree temperatures!) so I don't think it is a problem with that. Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem could be? It has me completely at a loss for ideas, and I don't want to go to the mechanic who is just going to tell me to replace all of the wiring, switches, and relays, hoping to find the problem. Thanks!

2. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

I looked at the wiring diagram for your headlight/foglight system. I would check the headlight switch itself. The only other thing that controls the fog lights getting power is the fog light relay. That is obviously working because they are turning on. The headlight switch controls the headlights, foglights, and parking lights. 2 of the 3 are staying on....i would change the headlight switch to start.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You answered the question yourself---if "giggling" the switch fixed the problem the switch IS the problem.
    A ground issue in the wiring is not going to be affected by working the switch.