1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Head gear doesn`t fully retract.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by danno, Oct 20, 2005.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

I have the 7 1/2 MM 1 (SEPH). I rigged up a spring, similar to the newer MMs where it would pull the headgear down after the weight of the plow is grounded. After the service was done, it doesn`t do it anymore. I called them and said its an adjustment, to bring it in.

Where is the adjustment, and what do I do to do it myself ?

2. danno

danno Senior Member

Anybody have a Fisher plow ?

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

When the plow was serviced did the over tighten the packing nut on the lift cylinder???

4. danno

danno Senior Member

Yeah, I know thats possible. Is that the only adjustment there is ?

5. alamarc

alamarc Member

Yeah im gonna say that its the packing nut also-- what did they service?

Just wondering if that was something that they handled when they serviced it.

I was looking into doing the same thing with my father-in-laws old mm1. Do you have a pictures of how you set it all up? I just cant find a heavy duty enough spring for the job yet.

Thanks email me if you want alamarche325@hotmail.com
    andrew

6. danno

danno Senior Member

They changed the oil and a general inspection. Nothing that needed repair.

The spring I used is from a trampoline. It looks like the same size as the new MMs use.

The way I did it was bought plastic coated cable and ran it across between the A-frame where there`s holes already drilled next to the chain U-bolt.

Using u-bolts, I ran a cable up to the head gear and used another U-bolt. Very easy.

7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The cylinders used in the new MM's are "low friction",the packing nuts and seals are a little different from the old SEHP.The best you can do is loosen your packing nut and wipe it down with hyrdo fluid and snug it back up, a spring will not last long on that set-up.

8. danno

danno Senior Member

It worked pretty good last year. As far as adjusting it, that would be the only spot that it can be adjusted ? If so, what`s the amount you should turn it at a time ?

9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

It's not really an adjustment per say but typically,run it down hand tight then another quarter turn with a wrench and check for excessive leakage as a small amount will be normal to lube the packings.

10. danno

danno Senior Member

Thanks Arc Burn ;)