1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Head Gaskets replacement cost?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by WilliamOak, Oct 26, 2009.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

My '01 has been using coolant basically all summer, and we (me and a Benz mechanic that has been doing this longer than I have been alive) originally replaced the hose going from the radiator to the thermostat thinking that was where it was leaking out.

Well it is still using coolant after that fix. It has gone from FULL to ADD in the month or 2 since we replaced the hose and put in all new coolant. (Dex cool) From what I have been told it is most likely the head gaskets.... Now I'm considering getting rid of this truck and trading it for a PSD (I was planning on doing this in the spring anyway) now vs. putting a good amount of work for a truck thats only worth like $5k on trade. I would strip everything off of this truck so its back down to bare bone stock like when I bought it and put everything on the new truck also.

I would like to hear the thoughts of the plowsite gods please lol.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i dunno my 98 uses coolant as well, im always adding coolant to the bottle, everytime i have it in the shop i have the mechanic go over it and he says nothing is wrong with it, he doesnt see any coolant in the oil.and everything seems fine, so i dont worry about it too much. unless its blowing white smoke while driving, or your oil is foaming up i wouldent be too too worried about it.

3. WilliamOak

alright that puts my nerves kinda at ease, thanks goldpro. I was nervous and at the same time happy though cuz this would be my true excuse to actually get myself into a ford. (no offense, I know your feelings on this goldpro lol) It's due for an oil change and I'll have then look it over and then let you guys know.

Goldpro, have you heard of this being sort of common with these trucks? or do me and you have the only 2 that do this lol?

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i dunno my mechanic who owns the same truck as i do doesnt seem to think its a big deal, lol so i dunno, these trucks use alot of fluid, mine uses about a quart of oil between oil changes, doesnt leak it just uses it lol, my mechanic also says that normal and his does the same thing.

5. WilliamOak

Who knows lol. I guess time will have to tell...

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I will give you $5100 ;)

As long as the coolant level isnt going up and it isnt milky dont worry about it. My 99 went through oil when I would work it... didnt own it past 35,000 miles so I am not sure about the coolant

7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

What engine? If it's a 5.9 (360) more than likely a cracked head. That'll consume coolant without any other symptoms. Failed head gasket will have other symptoms. She'll go a long time with a cracked head, just make sure you keep coolant in it... if you run it real low, that's when the problem get worse.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  8. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

x2 on the craked head, the head gaskets are not known to leak on the 5.9's. heck if you want a psd now is the time to get one trade here in now before you sink 2 grand in her..

9. WilliamOak

SOLD, wanna come today? lol

Yes its a 360 but I like to tell people it has a 5.9 so they think cummins, lol. It sucks when i have to break the news to them about it being a gasser. I have been re-fillind the coolant since I noticed it getting rel low at the beginning of summer.

Yea thats actually what i was thinking, cracked head doesnt sound cheap at all lol.

10. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

if you want to fix the issue your best bet would be pull the heads off yourself with a few friends and bring them to a engine shop they will be able to inspect for cracks and all that fun stuff. :drinkup: