1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

head gaskets 02 GMC

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 99zr2, Nov 30, 2008.

1. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Ok well I was wondering if anyone has replaced head gaskets on a 6.0 yet? I am afraid that mine are bad and hoping they last till the spring.

On the 6.0 is there anything to be surprised about when I get ripping into the tear down?
    Is there anything that i can do for performance mods while I have it apart?
    What other things should I be looking for at this time?

2. nv_my_z71

nv_my_z71 Member

You could put a set of 243 casting ls6 heads on it, it will raise your compression alittle. Your holes for your headbolts are blind holes so make sure there is no antifreeze in there by blowing ou the holes otherwise you may crack the block. Put a low end torque cam in it. Also if you have a lifter tick in it now would be a good time to replace them as they are under the heads on theat truck, if so get the caddy ctsv lifter from gm performance
  3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Its not common. What are the symptoms u are having?
  4. mikeauto1

mikeauto1 Junior Member
    from nh

head gasket

i ahve beeb a mechanic for10 years i have never seen a 6.0 need head gaskets. what are some of the symptoms?
  5. zuess253

zuess253 Junior Member

yea iv'e also been working on autos for 12 years and never seen a head go on a 6.0L
  6. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Well I thought I had the rear coolant crossover tube go bad, but I checked under the oil fill cap a week ago and there was some white gunky build-up on it. That to me was a sure sign of a head gasket leak? Also you can smell it out the exhaust. I have to fill the over-flow container once every 6 to 7 weeks. This is from when the low coolant light comes on. witch by the way started to come on this summer, but I was smelling anti-freeze this spring.

I have heard of a coolant line running behind the heads go bad on 6.0's before so that is what I originally thought it was. Didn't think it was a big deal until I saw that gunk under the fill cap.

I don't think that it is anymore serious than a gasket because the is no weird sounds or loss of power.
  7. nv_my_z71

nv_my_z71 Member

I have never actually heard of it but our 5.3 is using alot of antifreeze lately also, but I want to eventually pull it and put in a 6.0. Try going to GM and buying their coolant tablets, they work great for a quick fix, they come in a package of 6 for like $5
  8. zuess253

zuess253 Junior Member

that gunk under your oil cap is normal. it happens to alot of cars and trucks. just moisture from the crankcase getting hot and cold all the time. when you say you smell antifreeze is it inside the truck or outside? also take it to a shop and have them test your cooling system. we only charge like $20 where i work. then you will know exactly where its loosing coolant.