1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Head Gasket Trouble - help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by RB, Sep 18, 2002.

1. RB

RB Senior Member

If someone could help I would be very grateful!

Where can I find out about Dodge recalls. I'm having trouble with the head gasket on a 1997 Dodge Avenger (my plows trucks are Chevys) lol.

I had it in for service and the mech. told me he has seen this problem a lot on the 2.0l engines. the vehicle has 60K. The mech told me to take it to the dealership and see about a recall. What do you guys think. Am I going to be stuck shelling out about a grand for a fix or will Dodge step up and fix it (recall or not)?

Also, the mech. told me this was covered under a silent recall - what is a silent recall?

Thanx everyone.

Ron

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

If im not mistaken, a silent recall means they would fix it under warranty only if you brought it to their attention first, meaning they didnt send out notices for you to bring it in to them. In other words, they didnt come looking for you to tell you there was a problem, they waited to see who came in complaining of a problem, then fix it. I think they should cover it even though your car may be out of warranty only because the mechanic said they were trouble and mentioned to you about the recall. Its not your fault it waited to the warranty ended to blow out the gasket when others maybe blew out sooner and theirs were covered. Id definitely give the dealer a call and speak to the service writer and tell him whats going on and ask what they are gonna do about it. Id also mention what that mechanic told you about those motors being prone to head gasket trouble and that it was a silent recall, make it sound like you are on top of the subject and you know what your talking about. ;) Let us know how you make out. Hope i helped. Mike

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

If im not mistaken, a silent recall means they would fix it under warranty only if you brought it to their attention first, meaning they didnt send out notices for you to bring it in to them. In other words, they didnt come looking for you to tell you there was a problem, they waited to see who came in complaining of a problem, then fix it. I think they should cover it even though your car may be out of warranty only because the mechanic said they were trouble and mentioned to you about the recall. Its not your fault it waited to the warranty ended to blow out the gasket when others maybe blew out sooner and theirs were covered. Id definitely give the dealer a call and speak to the service writer and tell him whats going on and ask what they are gonna do about it. Id also mention what that mechanic told you about those motors being prone to head gasket trouble and that it was a silent recall, make it sound like you are on top of the subject and you know what your talking about. ;) Let us know how you make out. Hope i helped. Mike