1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

head ack racks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nepmgmt, Dec 21, 2005.

1. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i am getting a pick up and am looking at a head ack rack. i like the look of the back rack but is it any good or are there other racks that would be better it would manly be used to put on a light bar and rear flood lights. anyone have one or another one that they like.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Back-Rack's are built very well. Very sturdy. Excellent mounting hardware.

3. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

heres mine.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

the original back rack is very nice i have one on my 03 and mounted an arrow stick and a mini lightbar also back rack makes a safety rack which is really good and sturding it is like a mesh looking steel back rack blocking the entire back window.

5. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i like that stainless one where and what brand is it. i am not sure what i wont to put on it i am going to be putting 4 corner strobes but don't know what do do/ if i wont a light bar. i like how the rack has the lights in it. any input wound be great. it is 1997 f250 long bed reg cab

6. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Here is mine, works great

backrack.JPG

7. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i like the way that looks what kind of bar is that and is it permanent. i like the function of a full size bar with the work lights and all but i dont like how it looks all year long. i like that nice and small to go with the hide aways

8. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

If your talking about mine, it is the Back Rack with a Whelen Mini Edge. I had 2 pieces of flat bar welded on and then bolted the the light bar to it. In the spring it will unbolt and go in storage. Great rack I plan to put lights on it in the future.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

10. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

Thanks, its a custom i had fabricated. Its aluminum though.

11. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

wade i like yours thats nice that u can remove it. is it hard wierd or on a cig lighter. what is it strobe or led.they all look great. if you dont mind me asking how much was it to have that custom made.

12. JTW

JTW Senior Member

I was gunna say stailess would put a good hurting on your pocket for that much material! lol

13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

NEPSJay,

Is that aluminum clear coated? It won't last too long looking like that with the salt that close by.

This is my second year with the Back-Rack. Not a spot of rust on it anywhere.

14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I'd hate to think what all those light cost, what did they cost ?? LOL

15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

That Aluminum custom is slick.
    I am honsetly surprised so many people like the Back-Rac- To me it looks Cheap and cheesy. Never liked them. JC Whitneys used to have a louvered chrome one- round 2 inch pipe border with louvers in the center, with and without cutout for the center window that looked reasonable, but I though cleaning and polishing those louvers would be a nightmare.... They had a completely stainless one too- $500 worth.

16. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i like the back rack because it is simple and i don't really need the full protection of a covered head ack rack. i like it because it can hold your lights and tie stuff to it. i was wondering are those strobe lights in the back of that aluminum, one and do u use a bar. i wont to use a bar but if i mount to the rack it will be perm with i dont wont

17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

There are several out there that look cheezy. I wouldn't use that word for the Back-Rack's though.

Have you seen one in person?

5/16" steel construction. Square tubing. Powder coated.

They're great for when you need to haul that extension ladder, refrigerator, dryer, 56gal trash cans.

But like others said, it makes for an EXCELLENT solid mount for various lights, strobes, and beacons.

All this without hindering your rear window visibility.

18. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

i would too. theres over 2 g's between the rack and lights

19. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

I dont think its clearcoated. I usually polish it w/ buffer a couple times a month. I lso have a habit of dropping a roll of quarters at the carwash whenever im done plowing or trucks dirty. I'm real anal about keepin stuff clean. I just had a vinyl tarp made for the vbox so, all in all, the salt really doesnt get close to rack. That spreader is 2 years old and believe it or not, no rust. Its hard work to keep clean but worth the time and effort IMO.

20. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I have a Back-Rack with a Shome mini LED lightbar mounted in the middle using a mount supplied by the Back-Rack people. I installed the Back-Rack and mini light bar mount in about 15 minutes. The Back-Rack is well made and very heavy. I highly recommend the Back-Rack.