1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HDEO in gas powered trucks.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Dec 18, 2010.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Are any of you guys running Heavy duty engine oil for diesels in your gas powered trucks? I'm just wondering if this type of oil would hold up better under heavy use. A couple of people I know do use it and suggested I do the same. Thanks.

Wayne

2. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

15w40 should work ok. Might crank a little slower when cold and you might see a slight drop in fuel economy. I know someone that been running 0w20 synthetic oil in his truck for a few years. Said it starts easier and gets a little better fuel mileage. Too thin for me!

The only down side to using diesel oil in a gas engine is if it burns/uses oil somewhat excessively it will plug the catalytic converter. Rotella T especially because of the higher zinc content.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

My buddy just bought a 98 2500 5.7 with a lot of miles on it, always had 5w30 according to the p.o. so first thing he does is switch to Rotella 15w40 on the advice of his brother who owns a trucking company and swears by it. I warned him it was too heavy, primarily when cold and wont offer the cold start protection. Course he didnt listen. Commuted to work less than 3k miles, easy drive, no towing or beating on it. Boom. Motor popped. Hard to say fresh thick oil broke the motor, but I bet it didn't do it any favors. Who knows how long it would have lasted if he had kept it 5w30. 5.7s aren't that easy to break. When I was a kid I switched to 20w50 because it was advertised as "performance oil". Broke a couple motors with 20-50 in them, but I was beating them hard.
    So, my opinion is to stay away from heavy weight oil. 10w40 is ok in older motors that use some oil. I dont think it's a good idea to 'shock the system', so to speak, by going from thin to heavy. Just in case you werent sure, the first number is the viscosity when cold, the second number is what it is once its warmed up. So 15 is three times thicker than what the manufacturer called for, and three times thicker than what the oil passages and oil pump and lifters and everything else are accustomed to flowing. IMO, making the engine struggle to lubricate itself is not a good way of making it heavy duty.

Just my opinion. I'm sure many others with their own ideas about oil will chime in.

4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. If I do try it, I was thinking of going with one of the 10W-30 versions that are out there.

Wayne