1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HD75 Install on 98-01 Dodge 2500/3500 24V Cummins diesels

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by LeadSSled, Dec 30, 2011.

1. LeadSSled

LeadSSled Junior Member
    from East TN

I just purchased a late model (new last season) and lightly used HD75 plow to put on my 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins diesel truck. The plow came off of a Dodge like mine, so I also have a good used Dodge truck mount. To play it safe, I have ordered a new SnowDogg hardware kit for this mount so I will have everything I need with factory-specified grade hardware. The hardware kit was VERY reasonably priced BTW. I also have downloaded all of the appropriate manuals from the SnowDogg website. I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and soaking up much good information. Based on the recommendations here, I also have a pair of Timbren bumpstops/springs on their way for the front end.

I plan on installing everything over the next couple of weeks. I also am a big believer of learning from other people's mistakes and successes - not reinventing the wheel so to speak. The wiring instructions are pretty vague in regards to where to mount the motor relay and lighting relays, saying only that they should be mounted in a "convenient and secure location near the battery.

For those that have already done a successful installation on a 98-01 Dodge 24V Cummins, I would be very interested in knowing where you mounted the relays. To which of the 2 batteries did you wire these plow/lighting harnesses to? I would be VERY interested in seeing some under-hood photos of your install. I also would appreciate hearing any installation tips that the experienced "plow guys" may offer. This will be my first plow. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My mount and harness is the same as yours, and my V10 leaves very little room as well. Thankfully the relay's aren't that big, so I mounted them behind the driver headlight next to the battery. Small confined space that is far enough away from moisture and excessive heat.

My Solenoid is mounted on top of the fuse box cover, I've had too many of these die on me with my Fishers that I keep them in an VERY easy to access space. As for the mount, its very simple. My biggest issue was getting the bumper on and then putting the bolts through all of the mount holes again. My sport bumper is fairly big and was difficult to access the holes. Other than that it was very easy.

3. LeadSSled

LeadSSled Junior Member
    from East TN

Thanks for the tips! Have you had solenoid/relay issues with the SnowDogg? Maybe I should keep a spare in the the truck.

4. plowguy43

No I haven't had any issue's with the plow yet knock on wood. I always keep a spare in the truck regardless though.

5. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Do yourself a favor and pack the relay with dielectric grease. No matter where you mount them, other then in the cab, your going to get moisture on them and eventually have a connection problem. A little dab will do ya!

6. LeadSSled

LeadSSled Junior Member
    from East TN

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Plowguy - Did you have to upgrade your alternator? It looks like I have a 136 amp alternator and may need to go to something 160 amps or larger. I've found a 200A Nippondenso for $329.00
    From Geno's
    From PA Performance

and a Mean Green alternator that claims 300% more than stock (no amperage rating specified) that is pretty pricey at $399.00
    Mean Green High Output

7. plowguy43

No but I'm not sure which I have, I'll check tonight when I go home. Doesn't seem to draw a ton, but I also don't have any strobes going either.

8. LeadSSled

LeadSSled Junior Member
    from East TN

plowguy43 - When you installed your wiring, was there already a hole in the Dodge firewall big enough to pass the controller wire connector through, or did you have to make a new hole?

Thanks.

9. plowguy43

yes/no - I have an automatic so I just cut an X into the rubber grommet that cover's the spot that the clutch would mount to. Worked perfect for me. Seeing as you have a 5 speed you won't have that area available.

10. LeadSSled

LeadSSled Junior Member
    from East TN

OK, thanks. I haven't crawled up under the dash yet to take a look and was looking for the easy answer. :) I can borrow a Greenlee Knockout punch tool from work if need be, but I'll have to find a rubber grommet to fit the hole.

I think that I finally have all of my parts together and the ball joints, tie rods ends, and sleeves were replaced last week. It gets an alignment this week and then I may actually be ready for the install this weekend. Trying to get all my ducks in a row first. ;) Thanks again.

11. plowguy43

Anytime!

There is plenty of room to drill a hole near the pedal assembly. I can't remember if there are any more access points from the factory though.