1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HD75 Connection Problem

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by dodgesprt00, Oct 24, 2013.

1. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

Pulled my Dogg out of the garage the other day to get it ready for the season. Everything looked as good as when I put it away. The only problem i'm having is the harness that controls the plow isn't connecting well. I guess after 4 season it has gotten worn out a little. It has to be pushed together perfectly to lift otherwise the relay just clicks. Is there anything I can do toy fix this without replacing one or both sides of the harness? Never had this problem with my other plows. Thanks for any help.

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

That sounds like the spring cage on the power or ground pin is missing. Those help maintain contact on the pins - which is a good thing - but if one gets ripped out it can create the symptoms you're describing.

Contact your dealer for 16160402 - list price of $3.68 - that's a set of two and they slide right on. If you look, you'll probably see that one is missing - these are on the larger pins.

There should be no need to replace the harness.

3. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

You are correct, I just looked and one of the large pins is missing the clip. I never realized that something came off. Thanks for the help

4. 09RamMD75

09RamMD75 Junior Member
    from Maine

Scott,
    Are they planing to switch from the spring cage design to the split pin, so you can just use a flat head and fix the issue? That seems to be the pin design most used among most plow manufacturers.

5. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Scott, sounds like the issue I'm having. Can I get a pic of the spring cage that is missing so I have an idea of what I'm looking for?

My plow is the MD75 and I bought it 2010.. So about the same age...

Thanks

gb

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  6. h2otoo

h2otoo Junior Member

Yes Scott, how about a picture of this. My plow is on it 4th, maybe 5th season, and seems to not want to angle right or go up. These connections really are causing problems. HELP!

~Bob

7. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I cleaned mine and moved them from the drivers side of the subframe out of the snow. Put them over the subframe. Have not had an issue since. Not sure it's an anser but it's been working so far.

8. eliyyah

eliyyah Junior Member
    from ohio

New to plowing. Think I'm having the same issue dodgesprt00 was having. I'm not sure what the spring cages looked like before I lost them. If anyone posted a picture of those after all these years it would be greatly appreciated because my owners manual doesn't have a picture and internet isn't showing much. At this point I've tried everything. I have to disconnect and reconnect the terminals and they have to be placed perfectly almost to elevate the plow. Then, at times it works when it wants to. I can plow a whole parking lot, then other times it only comes off the ground halfway then it stops. Disconnect/Reconnect then it works fine, other times all I hear is the relay click and it doesn't move an inch (it will go down though so I know my touchpad is ok). I thought it was the solenoid, replaced it and it does same exact thing. Custom shop by my house said it was my ground. Charged me $58 to add a washer and tighten the negative terminal on my battery. Still doing same thing so I took it back to them today, and they said it was the terminal plugs off the motor, and I would have to pay $250+ for new terminal connectors plow side and truck side, then add'l $150 for installation (if I couldn't figure it out myself). $500 after everything. I've cleaned the terminals and used grease to no avail. Can someone please help out! I have an appt for Teus. with a different shop (because it's hard to believe anything the other shop says at this point) but I'm concerned for snow fall this weekend and still haven't been able to set up coverage for my commercial accounts. Have 3 of them. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Same issue with my plow also.

Going to go look and see if the cage is missing or not. Right now one of my guys has it at his house.

Also, just out of warranty, the cover for the pump broke, won't stay on now, missing one pump mounting bolt now, lift arm cover is gone, and the deflector broke off when really cold.

Overall works good, just surprised at the nuts and bolts that have worked loose and the broken parts.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  10. h2otoo

h2otoo Junior Member

Well, got a chance to check my connections, and sure enough, those spring cages are there, I cleaned the contacts, plow still missing up. Biggest issue is it only angles left, even when you hit the right angle. Not much good like that. At times the up arrow does nothing, either. THAT is a big problem if you happen to be pushing back snow. As me how I know. Not happy with this at all. More snow on the way...

~Bob

11. h2otoo

h2otoo Junior Member

Eliyyah, I never did see pics of the spring cages, but when I look in the plug I see they are on the male side of the lager contacts.

~Bob

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  12. h2otoo

h2otoo Junior Member

Still messing with the plow problem. I think at least part of the problem is in the hand held unit. BUT, I did remove the electrical part (Magnet?) from the SC valve and found the valve stem pretty well oxidized. That seems to help. Still have to hit the right angle button just right to get it to work, and the white light and green light do not always come on, or sometimes just one of them. If I smack the controller against my palm sometimes they will come on. Not happy, but spring is almost here, right??
    ~Bob

13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I got to my employees house this afternoon armed with a can of parts cleaner.

Still would like to see picks of the spring cages, what I saw was the barrel female ends still intact.

I had previously dosed the connections with dialectic grease. What I did was cut about 1/16" to an 1/8" of an inch off the male side of the plug housing to make sure the plugs were bottoming out. Then took parts cleaner on both male and female side and cleaned them really good.

Plow works fine now.

Might just need to keep the plugs squeaky clean until spring, then hit them with dialectic grease in storage.

14. h2otoo

h2otoo Junior Member

Guess I will try that, too. Tomorrow is another day. Warmer, too, after the snow!

~Bob

15. eliyyah

eliyyah Junior Member
    from ohio

Thanks any ways h2O...Ordered cage springs guys. Although I couldn't wait for them to get here in the mail so I found a place to look at it in Parma. They did an outstanding job. I thought I was going to have to pay close to $500 for full truck side and plow side harness Turns out only needed plow side harness. Whole thing less than $150. I was happy. I do have picture of the spring clips. Let me figure out how to post them.

16. eliyyah

eliyyah Junior Member
    from ohio

[​IMG]

Hope this helps....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  17. h2otoo

h2otoo Junior Member

Thanks,

~Bob

18. eliyyah

eliyyah Junior Member
    from ohio

Lol, now if I can just figure out how to keep the light on passenger side from going out. Also subsequently, if you ever have trouble with plastic deflector breaking from time to time get a rubber one. Just saying. Thanks guys!