1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HD Straight Blade Questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi & thanks in advance for your answers.

I own a 8ft HD Straight blade. 4-5 years old.

Im noticing that theres an oil leak from the lift cylinder at the nut. Im assuming
    its gonna need a seal kit which is fine.

Im wondering if this would or could be the cause of a creaking noise Im hearing when the plow is being raised and lowered.
    the "creaking noise" doesnt happen when going from left to right.

I sprayed som FF on the cylinder, and the noise goes away for a short while but comes.

Secondly, theres a cable part number 27169 (cable kit)... my cable broke.
    just wondering, when re installing this cable, is it suppose pull the head stock all the way down so that the cylinder is all the way in or does the head stock stay somewhat elevated ?

thanks in advance

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well why don't we start with what plow this is

3. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

It's a fisher. 8ft hd straight blade.

Thanks again !

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Lift ram nut....56734
    Looks like that has the seal kit with it.
    Polypak seal kit.....64153.
    That's for a 2" cylinder with the oring hydraulic port

I would try to tighten the nut first.

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Cable wants to retract the cylinder completely.

6. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Creeping from the ram is not likely, however, look close at the rod for scoring, the guide/ seal on top could be worn so bad you have metal on metal contact. The other place to look and more likely (IMO) would be at the hinge points, the push frame pins, etc. Not sure if your has the triangle lift frame on top where the lift ram attaches, but the newer ones are as poorly built as can be. The outer pivot point are not much more than stamped sheet metal. They wollow out after a year or two. I've had to rebuild several on them. Inspect for cracks everywhere.

7. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Don't replace the cable

You dont need that cable, just use a 5/16 quick link and attach it to the spring and then the chain. That is how all the new plows are setup, the lift ram doesn't need to go all the way down unless you are detaching the plow from your truck, I set it so the lift triangle is about level. This allows the plow to have plenty of travel and also so there some tension on the ram for faster lifting.