1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HD Help????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Young Pup, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Hey guys, my brain is fried. What is the main difference between a regular 2500 and 2500 hd? I am looking at a couple of used trucks and for the life of me I cannot remember what the main differnces are.

Thank you.

2. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn Member

3. Young Pup

Sweet thank you. I did not even think of going to the gm forum. Like I said fried brain. :)

4. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

For starters - You gotta tell which years yours talking about

5. Young Pup

2004 year. sorry. Did not realize that hd specs changed drastically from year to year.

6. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn Member

No worries; happy to help! It happens to the best of us for sure.

7. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

2004 2500 is really a 1500HD . the 1500hd and the 2500 share the same frame I think, the 2500HD and 3500 srw both have the same frame

8. Cosmic Charlie

9. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

10. Young Pup

Thank you. What I am looking at is the 2500 hd srw. He said it did not have the plow prep pkg with it. But there is already a plow on it????

Thanks JP

11. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Just because it doesn't have the plow prep package doesn't mean it can't have a plow on it.

12. Young Pup

Oh I understand that. I am just concerned about the front axle rating on it. I believe my old 04 that got totaled by a tree had a 4800 lb rating. I think I am set to go with this one. Might be going to take a look at it in the next couple of days.

13. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I have the 4670 rating on mine and plan to put a Western Pro Plus on it.

There is another member on here with an 05 crew cab with the 4500lb front end and a vplow so you should be fine.

14. Young Pup

That is good to know. Thank you.

15. Cosmic Charlie

PLOW PREP Includes:

Upgraded T-bars (dependent on cab configuration)
    145 amp alternator
    Provisions for a roof mounted light beacon (dash switch and related wiring leads)
    Upgraded cooling fan clutch (most important one on the list )
    Skid Plates
    Look in the glove box. On a white sticker will be a bunch of 3 letter/number codes. If VYU is listed then yes you have the plow package.

Surprised no one here is giving you help ...

MANY people plow without plow prep package - no big deal if you ask me

Your T- bars are adjustable but yours may be already adjusted up or are not big enough for your plow.

Depending on your plow choice your front end might sag if the torsion bars are not heavy enough, but won't break. (read the front axle weight rating on the sticker in the drivers door jam) You could change to bigger torsion bars if needed, or add timbrems depending on your front sag issue. Some people just live with the front end sag because the plow is down when plowing (no sag then) and don't drive around alot with it up (with the plow up and it saging too much you may occasionally bang the bottom of the plow frame on the street but it doesn't damage it unless your off the road & slam a curb or something) ... others here will say No Good - gotta hang the blade at the right. Adding 300 pounds of weight behind the rear wheels in the bed will help raise the front sag also.

The people that install plows are in 2 groups -
    1. they do whatever you ask,
    & group 2 will not install a plow that overloads your truck rating. (sag)

Make sure some checks out your tranny for burnt fluid from over heating or just abuse. Shifts should be like brand new, not slow but crisp & fast into each gear. Thats the biggest item I'd be worried about first.

The 6.0 gas motors in the HD 2500 are excellent overall, if they been NOT abused.

If the truck shows (lots of) RUST be wary that your fuel lines, tranny lines, & brake lines will be rotting out soon.

I'm sure some people on here will disagree with me -

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  16. Young Pup

Thank you for the help. I knew the plow prep stuff but all the extra info is great help. He said he just did all of this:

Has recently been tuned up, front and rear brakes, all new stainless brake lines, power steering pump and lines, and tires.

17. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

not too sure about the upgraded torsion bars ,

but a 2500 HD will hold the weight, I have too with straight blade andx they one sag too much at all maybe an inch, also have a 01 chevy 2500 H\ with an western mvp 8.5, had to put all new shocks on it last yr.

some people don't really like gm's but all of mine plow fine

18. Young Pup

Thanks for the info. After reading the posts here I am more confident about this truck and the ability to hold the plow and weight. :)Thumbs Up