1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HD Alternators

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cowboy, Dec 2, 2000.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

Where can you find HD alternators needed for the plow/lights etc? Or can you use a stock alternator with dual batteries?

2. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

I have alway used stock alternators until the one on the truck fails, then replaced with the largest one available, Last year I replaced one for an 85 K20 there were 2 avaialable I believe a 70 amp & an 98 amp, put the 98 amp in, this was from Pepboys I believe, I know there is a place in town where I could have had it rebuilt or the could have made it put out more amps. Never had a need, I run plow, highlighter bar & headlights. My new truck 99 order with plow prep only has a 110 amp, that has computer ect to run.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

On GM's from 91 to 94 and even on some 88-90's the factory 100 amp alts burn up the rear bearing,this is a common problem.The police cars(caprice) from 91-93 use a 140 amp high output alt that has a huge case and is a great design.To retro-fit one to the small block or 4.3 V6 takes the drivers side accesory bracket from a Caprice police car(about $50 new and the alternator.The alt can also come from the 94-97 B or F body GM's,these are camaro/caprice with LT1 engines.When my salvage yard gets an Alternator,its mine for $85,which I feel is a bargain considering its output.I am running dual batterys on both my F/S plow trucks now,it really helps keep the voltage from spiking down under 10 volts when raising and angling.If I could fit them,Id have 2 on the S10 also.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Member

whoops, should of mentioned it will be a 73-87 Chevy with 350 V8.
  5. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

Anybody got anything for a ford 302 ?
  6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Check out http://www.powermastermotorsports.com

I got a 200-amp alternator from them for my '96 K1500. It was a little pricy ($380) but well worth it. They can supply you with everything you need to get going. They also offer smaller pulleys.