1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HD altenator

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kjmahon, Oct 28, 2010.

1. kjmahon

kjmahon Junior Member

Hi Guys, I have a 2001Ford F-150. I was looking into putting a hd altenator in. The auto parts store says it can be done, but my mechanic says no because of the bracket. Has anyone run into this problem? Can a bracket be fabricated? Should i get another opinion? Any advice would be great!
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

hey if this is any help there is a site for ford guys it is c alled FSB.COM (FULLSIZE BRONCO.COM) in the site there is a thread on alt conversion and swaping from all different other fords and graphs and charts. I have a 96 f 250 hd with only a 90 amp and wanted a 130 amp and was told a alt from a 96 explore would swap right in and it did. If not youre local parts outfit should be able to get yours rebuilt with the extra amps you want for about 1.50 an amp excuse me rewired I ment and reworked. hope this can be of use for you and any one else whom reads this FSB IS NOT ONLY FOR GUYS WITH BRONCO'S D MAC
  4. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

B&B recommended these guys to me. I just ordered mine yesterday. They have brackets as well as the alternators.
  5. kjmahon

kjmahon Junior Member

Thanks guys, I will check them all out
  6. Pushinsnow

Pushinsnow Junior Member

DB electrical may have a direct fit HD alternator. I have 2 chevys with 200 amp alternators from DB that fit like OEM. You will also have to upgrade your wire from the alternator to battery.