1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HD 75 tough

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by gwhalen3, Dec 28, 2012.

1. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

First real outing with the HD 75 today, since last year was the joke of the century, and I am overly impressed. Since it's the first event of the season I hit and found some stuff, plus having some new driveways you have that feeling out period. The full trip really surprised me in how effective it reacted. I've only used trip edge before. I hit some bad stuff.... like holy fu@# I'm done for the day. And this little gem popped back like nothing happened time after time. As well as taking all of the force away from the truck. It's quick, tight and tough as hell. All components worked better than I could imagine. know things will break eventually but I was expecting something to fail today considering some of the hits it took, all in stride. Most of my driveways and some long road like ones are all dirt, stone and rutted. Terrible plowing conditions!! After a couple times scraping them over and building a base layer it becomes like pavement, kinda. So these snowdogg plows have won me over and will be sticking with them. ussmileyflag

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I love mine, been advocating them since I picked it up. They really are built very well and I think one of Snowdoggs mistakes was coming out with the MD Series first. People consider all of them cheaply made, and lightweight plows (partially due to the price as well).

I literally had a snowdogg dealer tell me that my VX95 was built more lightweight than a Boss VXT (They sell both). I told him to look up the specs before telling more customers that, my VX95 weighs over 100lbs more than the Boss...

3. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

I liked my HD75. I added the wings last year, but never really got to use them much.

I sold that truck, and plow this year and on the new truck went with the new VXF95. Im still on the fence about it, but im a price conscience person. Saving $600-800 is what sold me on it. I agree, the specs on the VXF95 favor it over the Boss.

4. plowguy43

What about it don't you like? I was thinking of getting the VXF next season

5. underESTIMATED

I wouldnt say i dont like it per se, but i feel it is much different than using my HD75 was with my 2500HD.

Perhaps the snowfall we have had this season was heavier on the new truck and new blade. But the plow doesnt want to lift when the button is pressed to stack over an existing pile of snow. Or when in a partially V mode in float, the blade doesnt want to shift all the way left or right.

I feel that in both cases the blade should work correctly. Aside from that, i really like that i can do more detail work with it than with the straight blade. For that reason alone its worth it.

Backdraggjng is pretty nice too. Its pretty solid backdragging.

The trip edge is a hell of a lot better than the whole plow tripping and the jarring it causes the truck and myself as the driver.

Hope that makes sense?

6. plowguy43

Oh ok I got you now, I actually had the same thoughts about the lifting power of it my first few times out (I think I posted about it in this forum too). I've basically learned to lift as I'm approaching the pile and its stacked fine, but if I'm at the end of a push and try to lift at the last second it just can't.

I think a big part of it is simply the weight of the plow (over 1000lbs) then considering the width of it with the amount of snow in front of it, it simply is too much.

As for the angling, this is common with most all V plows. I can do the partial scoop as well and angle a bit, but there is only so far it will go because it trys to keep the scooped position for you. So if you scoop slightly and angle left, it won't fully angle left collapsing the left angle ram because that would pull the left wing back taking it out of scoop mode.

It takes a few storms to really get the hang of it (V plow from straight blade) but I'll never go back and honestly plan on sticking with a Snowdogg going forward. Mines been through some deep snow and rough roads without missing a beat nor putting much strain on the truck in the process.

7. underESTIMATED

I'm 100% glad you posted this as I really thought I wasted my money on this plow over getting the Boss VXT that I was originally 99.9% committed in getting.

I really like the durability of the plow and has taken more abuse than I ever put through on my HD75.

One more off-topic question since you have one...

Have you found any greasable points on this unit? I tried reading the online diagrams, and I couldn't locate any grease zerk points on it at all. The HD unit had 3 that I remember.

Thanks for the post. It helps better this thread.

8. plowguy43

I was in the same boat as you, I "studied" the Boss VXT, Fisher Extreme V, and this Plow. Looking at specs alone this plow won hands down - Double acting cylinders, Stainless, Deflectors, Hinge design, Lift Ram size, Fast Hydraulics (granted Fisher/Boss are slightly faster), Weight (I wanted a heavy plow, this outweighs Boss & Fisher), Trip Edge, and biggest was the support from Buyers on this forum and at the dealerships, all this and my plow was over $1,000 cheaper than the other two.

As for grease, the center hinge section has indentations on it that you can put grease into with a rubber needle tip. On mine it looks like the paint is covering the holes so I haven't touched it yet, but others have commented that those spots are there for greasing. When I grease mine again, I'll just pull the pin and do by hand.

Other than that, I don't have any but I pull pins and grease them pre season by hand and coat the plow in WD40 or Fluid film whatever you prefer.

9. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

What kind of plow did you have before your dogg? Before I was even on this site I almost emailed you because I saw your plow on craigslist. I opted out because I just had not seen anyone with one except yours and decided to go with fisher or boss

10. plowguy43

I've had 4 minute mount 1 (7.5 &8), a MM2 8' X blade, and a 9'6" MM2 EZV . At my work we use a Boss Superduty trip edge 7.5 & a Boss Sport Duty 7.5 poly.
    And as you know from the main thread all of my close friends have brand new extreme 's or XLS , they all had issues with theirs but I have yet to have 1 with mine knock on wood.

11. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Haha yeah I've noticed that. Hopefully it continues to perform, seems like a good unit.