1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HD 3500 with turbo diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MLI, Dec 17, 2000.

1. MLI

MLI Member
    from Boston

We were thinking about upgrading our 1 ton gas 8ft
    bed , too the Chevy HD 3500 turbo diesel 15,000GVW
    10 ft bed. Was wondering if anyone had one of these,
    if they liked them, or they thought the Isuzu might be a better option. As of now,I feel the gas dump is underpowered when pulling a full load with 16 ft trailer up hills. Im also looking to hold more volume. Thanks!
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The 6.5 TD wont really give you any more power than the 350 gas. If you are looking for more power in the HD 3500 go with the 7.4 vortec gas. The duramax 6.6 diesel will give you alot more power, but wont be avaulable in the 15000 gvw until at least 2002 maybe not till 2003.
    If you really want the 15000 gvw and a diesel, as much as I hate to say it, Ford really is only only option, unless you dont need 4x4 in which the Isuzu, mitubishi, UD and the like with the cab over will suit you very well.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If you feel the gas dump is underpowered,dont buy the Isuzu 4 cyl diesel,its even worse.The 3500HD with a 6.5 turbo will be adequete,but since they have 5.13 or 4.88 gears,it will pull much better than the gas motor.I like the 3500HD,but if there werent many hills,or manevering is tight,Id consider the Isuzu too.The Isuzu is more of a city truck,dont do well on hills or at higher speeds,the 3500HD will eat hills and cruise at freeway speeds with a big trailer,no problem.
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I am assuming that your 1 ton gasser is a 350, as your are complaining of power. If it happens to be a big block, there must be something wrong with it then, and you will not be happy with the diesel. The 3500HD's are a nice truck. They are only 4x2 though :( But I guess you don't need the 4x4 or you wouldn't be looking at it. The 6.5 is very responsive to tweaking (hot rodding). I know that I sound like I'm plugging http://www.thedieselpage.com but they are a very valuable resource for these engines. John is right about them being geared good. With the 5:13's and 5 sp, they are real good towers. A simple 4" straight through exhaust and a new downpipe and a chip or reprogrammer will get you close to 240/430 hp/tq. ;) What year is the one your looking at?

Good Luck

[Edited by dixie1 on 12-18-2000 at 03:11 AM]
  5. steveair

steveair Senior Member

I do not now much about the 3500HD, but do a lot of driving in 3500 and 2500 chevy's with the 6.5turbo and will say that, to me, its, better on the long hauls in terms of power than any of the gassers, ever the big block

I just bought a 2001 2500HD with a 6.0, and have pulled my trailer with it and also have pulled the trailer with a 2500 6.5 diesel. As much as I hate to admit it, the diesel was much nicer on the long, highway hauls. Have also pulled with a big block, and again, I felt the diesel still pulled a little better, as it still needed to downshift quite a bit more on the longer hills. For local runs though, I really can't tell much of a diffenren between any of them.

Now, not to say I'm a ford fan, but a powerstroke is still the champ til chevy gets its duramax up and running. They are just dam strong motors. If you ask me, the powerstroke is a waste of power in anything less than a f650, as it just pulls like the wind. Would take one of those over any chevy, at least til the duramax or new big block comes out. But, who the hell can afford any of these things these days.

[Edited by steveair on 12-18-2000 at 04:12 AM]
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Uh Steve,
    the duramax and 8.1 gasser are out right now. Local dealers even have them in stock, in at least the 8.1. A few have the 6.6 td. But you are right, cant afford one.
  7. mowing king

mowing king Junior Member

i have a 3500HD, diesel auto, love the truck but, has 5th tranny this year, 30,000 miles in 3 different shops from May to sept.

I got a new UD 1800 this year , now thats a truck.18,000GVW,225 hp, 470ft torque,air assist brakes,hydro assist clucth,AC, 6 speed. hauls,pulls awesome.
    Hold 18 yards mulch and with our leafbox on it will carry 26yards of leaves. turns around better than a pickup. stops on a dime, the time we save just in hauling trip time pays for this truck. bigger load means less trips with material. we are not using this truck to plow at this time. with the tool boxes,12ft bed and air ride seat. $38,700. but well worth it.
  8. MLI

MLI Member
    from Boston

Hey guys...I know this is the chevy forum....
    but since i was asking about the HD 3500..Ive come
    across a 85 Iveco Diesel grain body dump. I haven't
    looked at the truck yet, but was wndering if any of
    you had,or have owned one of these. Ive heard the
    foreign trucks last a life time, and not to be affraid
    of high miles if truck is in good shape. They are
    asking $3995. It has a 14ft dump body. Any comments?
  9. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

I think you guy knocking gas engines need to look at how your trucks are set up. My 99 with a 454(Vortec), has 4:10 gears, standard gears at dealers are usually 3:73. I tow a 20' Enclosed Race car trailer daily, full of Landscape equpment, weighs around 6000 lbs min., also have bobcat 753 & snowblade around 8000lbs w trailer, truck barly knows there back there. Have riden in two 2500 with 3:73, and 350, one 93, one 95, your right they were dogs, the guy driving were really leaning on them. I'm looking at new trucks now, wifes car is going, probably going to go with 2500 w 6000 engine, and 4:10 gears. I don't like buying things first year there out, let somone else deal with initial problems, and 8.1 + allison combo would be 1500-2000 more.