1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HD 2500 plow&sander

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mpgall26, Oct 19, 2011.

1. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

I have a Silverado 2500HD crew cab short bed with 8' fisher HD and just put a deposit on a 1.5yd Meyer BL600 spreader with a dry weight of 1040lbs. I just wanted to check with the guys who drive these truck to see if it can handle all the weight as i've been told it can. Told just not to plow with stuff in the hopper since it will be 4040ish lbs back there. Any feedback would be appreciated. Also am I completely blind to rear? Should I get a backup alarm? Lastly they say the tailgate stays on?

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

People will tell you any truck can handle the weight if they can make the sale. That aside, your truck fully loaded with plow and salt and hopper will be about 4,750 lb on the front, and 8,150 lb on the rear.

That being said, with the plow on and a full hopper of salt:
    • The rear (8,150 lb) is way over the RAWR of 6084 lb.
    • The total weight (10,950 lb) is way over the GVWR of 9,200 lb by 1,750 lb (your limitation on the RAWR is the wheel/tire combination).

If this were me, I would do what I can to mitigate the overweight-ness to what I feel comfortable with...
    • If you have tires larger than the stock 245/75R16, I would limit my rear end capacity to the capacity of the tires, up to about 6,800 lb.
    • Add some sort of weight management solution to the front and rear end (e.g. Timbrens, air bags, etc.).
    • Keep the GVWR under 9,900 lb, which is what the 3500HD SRW trucks are rated at. That means only 1,000 lb of salt in the hopper...
    • I would always plow and salt with all equipment on the truck at the same time (hopper full, too).

If it were me, I would have bought a tailgate spreader and put either bulk or bagged salt in the bed. The dealer should NOT have told you that your truck can handle it. I would go back and have them apply your down payment to a smaller poly insert spreader like the LPV. It weighs half when empty (500 lb more salt you can carry), and the 1,800 lb capacity won't let you overload the rear end.

Everybody plows with an overweight truck. It's ultimately up to YOU to figure out how much you are willing to go over the published numbers on the door. We all take the risk of getting pulled over, weighed, and ticketed by the DOT. We all risk being at fault in a bad accident with and overloaded truck. That's your responsibility in the end.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  3. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Wow, seems like you know your stuff far better than me (with all the manuals in my lap. Thanks so much. I definetly need to look more closely at this before I finalize purchase. I am blown away that you say the rear weighs 4000+ empty though. I put my truck on the scale and it was just under 6000 with some junk in it. assuming the bulk of that weight was front with engine I guessed the rear at maybe 2000 empty/front 4000.
    The spreader 1050lbs and sand/salt (@2000lbs per yd. / 1.5 yds capacity)=4050lbs rear total, and front was originally thought to be about 4000lbs of the 6k weighed, so add 800 for plow=4800 for a total weight of 8050. Based on that and my front Timbrens I thought I was ok, but I'm off somewhere there ??
    Tires are stock too. Damn, I needed that 1.5yds maybe a poly ??

4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I thought you were saying you were putting 4040ish pounds of salt in the spreader - my mistake... I also used my old 2005 gasser ECSB for an example weight but yours somehow weighs less than that did. Anyways, a plow and full hopper will put you at 4,400 / 6,800, which is more reasonable for each axle, but still way over the GVWR. It's important that you keep the plow on with a full hopper of salt - that'll reduce your RAW by 300+ lb.

5. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Great thanks buddy. I really want that spreader based on the price of $3500 installed and will be able to do 1 trip rather than 2, but i would do whatever to sacrifice my truck, only 26,000 miles and probably shouldn't be a salt truck anyway...too nice.

6. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

A few closing thoughts... I'm not endorsing this, just giving free information:

If you get 285/75R16 tires, and find a set of wheels that are rated in the range of 3,700 lb each, you could increase your RAW capacity since the axle itself is rated at 10,020 lb. Your rear axle limitation is the lesser of the tire / wheel rating. Also, if you are not going over 35 mph, the Tire and Rim association allows you to increase the load capacity of the tire by 24% - however, I'm not sure how this applies to wheels. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

7. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Hey Q, I opted for the Snow Dogg 750. Poly,electric,cover,vibrator,install $3500. The weight is 260# and can get it in/out easy, did it today. They call it 3/4yd, but I think it's actually 0.6yd. Quiet and pissa weight wise. If I have to make 2 trips the sand/salt is only 5miles away, so I think it was probably a wise move to spare the truck.
    Thanks again for your help, probably saved my ass.