1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HD 2500 Brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MickiRig1, Apr 5, 2005.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My partner at work has a HD 2500 Chevy, four wheel disk brake, 2 wheel drive truck with 9,000 miles on it. He gets that "out of round" feel to the brakes when he rolls to a stop. No pedal pump,just the jerking stop.Anyone have an idea why a new truck would do this? Warp a disk already?

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

probably from pulling a trailer that does not have brakes

3. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

It sounds like a slight warpage in the discs, but sometime a tire flaw can cause a similar feel.

In cars the most common cause for disc warping is the impact wrenches they use when they rotate or change tires. They run each lug nut up tight, one at a time without any progressive tightening, and it causes uneven stress on the disc. When the disc gets hot it seems to warp quited easily.

Even the places that claim to use a torque wrench do it wrong. They run everything up as tight as it will go with an impact wrench, and then use the torque stick to verify that it is at least as tight as the minimum. This means every lug may have a different to torque value, although each one is at least as high as the minimum torque.

Bruce

4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

What year ? With 9000 miles, I would think it should still be under warranty.

5. MickiRig1

I found out the truck is a year and a 1/2 old, it's had 3 oil changes and nothing else has been touched. I thought someone else here may have had the same Chevy problem / Gotta complain to get it fixed thing!
    He has the extended warranty on it so he's going to read it and see if rotors are covered. He borrowed his Dad's dial indicator setup to see if he can figure out which ones warped. Might be just as easy to replace the rotor, then have it out of service for days at the dealer.
    The truck looks brand new (white) not a mark or ding on it!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Have to agree, tire or rotor. rotate tires front to rear, 9000 is the perfect time. I always do it at the third oil change. A slipped belt in a tire at a rolling stop is the time it wold show up. If it is a rotor the first 100 mile are the most critical time to be easy on them... No hard stops!!. Old school tips are to break in a rotor in the rian for the longest life. does it pulse/ vibrating the steering wheel when slowing down from lets lay 70 to 50 for a off ramp? If so, that's usualy a warped rotor. O yeh... GM rotors usualy last the longest. Stay away from the cheep ones! I had bad luck with after market. Good luck.

7. MickiRig1

They turned the front rotors and all is right now.
    He had the extended warranty and it cost him nothing to have it done!
    It's just hard to believe this would happen at 9K.

8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

What??? A dealer turned the rotors??? I bet you they would not have cut them if you were not under his warranty. Do you know that they are only 5-8 thousands above the minimum thickness when brand new? I hope they didn't turn them much for your sake because you WILL be back with pulsating breaks as soon as your warranty is up! Here's some good advice...I would take a few minutes to remove a tire and measure the thickness. If they are under spec or just a smigine over , I would ***** and get a new set on them now before it's to late. The minum thickness is always stamped on the rotor.
    Good Luck!

9. drplow

drplow Senior Member

i would have them replace them. they are thinner now and probably can never be turned again, which means you will be paying for new ones in a couple of years from now. also the thinner they are the more they heat up and better chances they will warp again.

10. MickiRig1

Your right about thin rotors!
    I am 3 for 3 on front brake jobs on low mile vehicles. They all were under without ever being turned.

11. drplow

drplow Senior Member

i put 18000 miles on my one ton truck and i had to change the back brakes. all i do is haul and tow all the time. not bad i guess. front brakes are at 50% yet.

12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone know how to change the rotors on a chev 1 ton 4wd? Thanks in advance.