1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hay swathers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jay brown, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

next year i am seriously considering running/adding a hay swather to our plow fleet. any of you farmers see this as a bad idea? i'm considering something in the $5k-$10k range. i realize the tires will have to be siped and they probably don't come with a heater or wipers. thanks....jay

2. It depends if you take the bus or bring your lunch

you going to use a chevron roller or finger type for high pilling? Instead of sipping tires you should sipe mint julips, better traction. Moneys no object.
    Brian

3. Jay brown

don't need to worry about high piling, we come back with our telehandler and do the high piling (40')

4. Jay,
    Do you plow with the telehandler? What kind is it? How much HP? How big a plow?
    Brian

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Dumb question but how do you use a swather to plow snow exactly?

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I was thinking the same thing. I've never heard of anyone even thinking of using one. Jay Brown might be on to something.

7. Jay brown

the swather i'm talking about is a self propeled unit with a cab. i just figured you could mount a plow on them, i've seen several with snow blowers......they are ZTR hydrostat and they are already plummed up front with hydrolics.... most of them are not much more $$ than a pickup and i think they will handle a very large plow if they can get traction to the tires.

8. Jay brown

i have a plow for it, a 10 meyer, but used it very little. we primarly use it with the bucket for stacking. it has a cab, heat, it's a GEHL 883, with a 4 cyl John Deere....

9. No sno yet

Jay,
    I thought you was funin us with the hay machine. We call a 5 wheel rake here a swather.Thanks for the hi/lo come back though. Thinking about a payloader with a 15' plow or a big enough hi/lo but they are not as powerfull as a payloader.

10. DeereFarmer

At first I thought you meant something like this...

Attached Files:

• q.bmp
      File size:
      81.1 KB
      Views:
  11. DeereFarmer

Now I understand what you mean. Us poor farmers can't afford them fancy self propelled things lol.

Attached Files:

12. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

we call em self propelled haybines..or just a haybine up here...theres one farm that has two Hesstons, everyone else just runs the pull behind the tractor type. I've seen one with a plow on it, seems to be a good idea, they can turn on a dime, the hydraulics are already there and a good bit of weight is on the front tires...maybe chains would be a good bet, but remember those things are designed for dry hay fields and not relly meant to go through mud and snow so the differentials may not be anti-slip

13. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I'm wondering about how they would hold up to pushin'. They are certainly built to hold all the weight of the mower head but that's up--not back?? Also the final drives?? how would they take the abuse?? Heck of a good idea if it works tho... I'm certainly not knocking it.....:nod: :nod: Somebody buy one and try it so we can all see:drinkup:

14. DeereFarmer

Yeah I was thinking about the tranny and how it would hold up. Seems like they are ment to go forward in a straight line.

15. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

This is something you will really need to discuss with a dealer, it might void the warranty on the machine, after all it is designed for mowing hay, not plowing snow, because its one thing pushing a harvesting head threw hay but a whole other world trying to move wet heavy snow on a slippery surface. Just something to think about.:)

16. Jay brown

Warranty?? i'm a poor roofer, i can't afford one of thoes new $80k machines. i'm thinking something along the line of under $10k (mid 1980's) maybe something with a wore out head. but i do think your right about the tranny (hydrostat) being on the weak side..

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I thought I saw a a post with some pics a year or two ago where someone was using a swather or similar tractor for snow plowing.

I know I saw it on the net or on here some where.

18. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Oh O.K, do you know of any that are for sale?

Other than seing pictures,I have never seen a self propelled mower my self, all the farmers I know use haybines or discbines for mowing hay, if you want a good idea of the cost of a used one you could check on TractorHouse.com

19. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Another alternative would be a combine. I have no personal experience with them, but I think they are built heavier than a swather, and some of them are 4WD besides. They are designed not only to push a pretty wide cutter head under often wet and muddy conditions, but also to carry several tons of threshed grain until it can be unloaded. They would take a little more work to convert, but maybe you could also use the grain hopper as the basis for a sander. Farm Show Magazine has shown several for these converted to snowblowers and fork lifts, I don't remember offhand about plows. I think their website is www.FARMSHOW.com . A lot of interesting ideas on there and a few pretty strange ones.

20. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

agreed you can get a decent old combine for a fair price..the biggest disadvantage to them is they are WIDE and theres a good chance you would need an overload permit from the DOT to move it...which wouldnt be bad if you only move it twice a year unless you have to hire someone to haul it...plus it would look awful funny plowing snow in a parking lot.