1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Having trouble with my Western Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Green Skapes, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Green Skapes

Green Skapes Junior Member

Hello,

I bought a Ford Super Duty dump truck back in late summer that came with an 8 foot Western Plow. I was told everything worked great on the truck and there were no issues with the plow.

Well, I hooked up the plow the other day and tried to lift it to back out and realized it wouldn't go up. It won't move side to side either. So, the first thing I thought was that maybe the motor was bad. I popped the hood and took a look at the connetions and everything was fine. I layed a screwdriver across the contacts on the solinoid and the motor fired up. So, the motor doesn't seem to be the problem. I then took a look at the joystick. It's an older cable controller. I happen to notice that the wire that comes out of the joystick and goes to the solinoid was severed. I checked the solinoid and there was no wire going into the cab of the truck. So, I pulled the joystick appart and soldered a new wire in and ran it to the solinoid. There was an open spot on the solinoid so that is were I connected it.

I got back in and moved the joystick and still nothing. Again, I can lay a screwdrive across the contacts and the motor fires up.

So, I'm at a loss right now. Is the controller bad? Or maybe the solinoid? The controller does need a new cable as the one that is there is starting to come apart. But, I can hold the cable while moving the joystick and it operates just fine. I'll replace that once I get the other stuff working.

Any help would great!

Tim

2. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

little wire is a ground to trigger the solinoid

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  3. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

Does the other small terminal on the solenoid have power running to it?

4. Green Skapes

Yes, there is power attached to the other small terminal on the solinoid. I think it's weird that I can lay a screwdriver across the 2 terminals and the motor fires up, but it doesn't do anything when I attach the wire from the controller and move the joystick.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If you have a 4 terminal solenoid, the black wire on one small terminal goes to the controller and then to ground, the second small terminal has a jumper from the large terminal that has power coming in from the battery.

6. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Is this a isolation module setup or the old relay style?

Obviousely somethings not kicking the solenoid over... could even be a bad solenoid. A test light would be my thought to check when and where the power is going when you engage the controller.

7. Green Skapes

So, the wire that connects to the terminal from my controller needs to then go to ground? I just have it going from the terminal to the controller. Do I just jump it from the terminal my controller wire it connected to and ground it?

8. Green Skapes

It's an old relay style I believe. There are 2 big terminals on the sides and 2 small ones up top.

9. Crash935

Timberseal, your going to get him confused, its a old cable operated pump.

There should be 2 wires coming out of your controller, both black, one goes to your motor solenoid the other goes to ground, really doesnt matter which one does which, your just completing the ground circuit for the solenoid through the controller.

let me see if i can find a pic for ya.

10. Crash935

11. Green Skapes

Hmm...I'm gonna have to check out the controller because there is only 1 wire coming out of it. When I got it, the wire had been cut or severed so I had to pull it apart and re-solder a new black wire. There was no wires coming out of it. So, I'll have ot check it out and look for a spot to attach another wire I guess. The wire that was cut was still attached inside the controller. I just melted that solder and added my new wire.

12. Green Skapes

Ok...Perfect! Thanks for all your help!

13. Crash935

Save that link, its the master reapir guide for you pump and wiring, if that dosent tell you how to fix the darn thing then its really broke.

14. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

My old cable plows only had the one trigger wire out of the controler. Ground come from the control cables until they lose ground from age. just run a ground inside of the wobble stick and it should be fine.

BJ

15. Green Skapes

Yeah, I thought about just replacing both cables. The raise/lower cable has pulled apart where it enters the controller. I'm sure that has something to do with it. So you think I should just add another wire in the controller and ground that?

It's driving me nuts and I know we're gonna have an early snow season here in Illinois!

16. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

ground wire from controller goes to the second small terminal. Jumper wire from battery side large terminal to first small terminal.

Wiring diagram on page 20 of the manual.

This is a ground activated solenoid. It does not ground threw the mounting bolts. If it is the correct one it should look like the one in the manual.

It is possible some one tried to use a positive activated solenoid. This can work to if you mount it to a none grounded surface install the jumper wire and attach the ground wire from the controller to the mounting bolt. This way the positive is always on the trigger but is incomplete until you ad the ground by moving the controller.

Do you have a picture of the solenoid? It would help.

17. Green Skapes

yeah, i'll get a pic tomorrow. This thing is driving me nuts. I know the motor works as it fires up when I lay a screwdriver across the small terminals, but does nothing with the controller. I'll take a pic of the solinoid. I appreciate your help!

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ground the second small stud on the solenoid with a jumper wire (same one your controller ground should be on). That will tell you right way if the solenoid will work.

19. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

any pics yet

20. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

If anyone needs some of those old cables, let me know. I have all newer plows now and I don't need the older style cables. I'll let them go for next to nothing if you pay the shipping. Like I said, I don't need them anymore. Hell, I didn't think anyone used them anymore!!

If you're interested, PM me.

Steve