1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Having trouble getting a new GL policy

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by GENERALL, Oct 12, 2004.

1. GENERALL

GENERALL Junior Member

Hello everyone, I've enjoyed reading and researching on plowsite, this is a first-time post for me. I'm trying to establish my business legitimately, I have commercial customers lined up this year and want/need GL insurance. Trouble is, I'm a new business and all of the agents I've called have said they won't write a new policy, especially without a prior history of business insurance. I've looked on posts here regarding companies who tend to provide plow coverage (in NY, there seems to be very few). I've called agents that handle erie, farm family, auto connection, etc. Nobody will cover me. I'm in a bind, kind of like a teenager trying establishing credit. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Welcome to a worlf of infomation about snow plowing. I bought liablity ins last year. This was the first year plowing in 20 odd years. I called my ins agent and he got me a policy through Northland Ins 1-800-237-9334. I don't know if they will write a policy direct or you have to go through a agent. If you need a agent try calling my agent. 1-800-647-2980. Ask for Bill Smuth and tell him Mike Kelley told you to call him. Hope this helps.

Regards Mike

3. GENERALL

GENERALL Junior Member

Many thanks Mike. I will give a call. With regards to this issue though, are there any particular steps a new business owner should/could take to make getting an affordable insurance policy easier? Ii think it could definately benefit many folks starting out who want to establish themselves as a true business.

Regards,

Joe

4. c_maint

c_maint Member

good luck. Hope everything works out for you

5. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Get a landscape policy like most have. It also covers plowing.My plan is for 2 million with no deductible through National Grange in NH. It covers me as long as I dont plow any public roads.

6. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

If you live in new york, you should check out farm family insurance. They seem to be the most inexpensive that I have found. They have a website farmfamily.com i believe. It may be true that you have to get a landscaping policy that covers snowplowing.