1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

having second thoughts?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by B430, Nov 5, 2008.

1. B430

B430 Junior Member

looking for some advice here from those with experience, especially those local to me (central MA)

Last week i was pretty excited about the idea of getting a plow, making some cash this winter, hopefully enjoying myself at the same time.

This week i'm starting to get worried that there won't be enough snow, there's too much competition, i won't make much money, i don't have a clue about plowing etc..

Last winter i worked on a drilling rig in Alberta for the winter. The pay is good, i figure by spring i could have $15k in the bank. On the other hand, the work sucks, the lifestyle sucks, and being 2000 miles from home sucks. Plus the company i work for has been extremely unreliable in giving me work, in the past year i have only worked about 10 weeks.

Thus my motivation to take things into my own hands and control my own destiny as much as is possible.

This will be my first winter in MA, so i have no idea what it's like here for snow fall. I don't have a lot of overhead since my truck is paid for and my plow i'll buy cash, but like everyone else i have rent and bills to pay, plus my gf is going back to school in jan, which leaves me to take on most of the money making duties.

So what do you guys think? should i take the chance on buying a plow, or take the safer route?

2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Well making more then 15k working as a sub contractor with one truck will be hard to do. MA has harsh winters, but i would believe the hourly rate would not bring you close to 15k with one truck. As for buying a plow you have to consider that a long term investment, not going to throw that plow away in April. Relaying on the weather is a very risky way of making a living, it can make you or break you! Good luck with everything!:drinkup:

3. TedCorp

TedCorp Junior Member

"Safer" route...gotta be said tongue in cheek.

As for going back to the rigs...I hear this will be a banner year, if you can survive HWY63 and downtown Fort Mac.

4. B430

B430 Junior Member

yeah not safer as in my health that's for sure.

I didn't really expect to make 15k working as a sub, but some value has to be given to sleeping in my own bed, not having to spend 12 hours outside in -50* temps, not getting soaking wet and turning into a giant ice cube, and not having to go 2 months without seeing my girlfriend, or pretty much any woman for that matter.

5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I understand your reasoning, is there another job you can pick up close to home?

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

your giving good advice.
    if it wasnt the first year and he had seasonals lined up and a regular base of customers already then he might do okay but to be just thinking about it now................
    There is a lot of competition out there and the season is already here.
    And is that 15k before the plow expense, truck expenses, fuel, insurance or 15k after expenses? Big difference. If hes going to spend 5-8k just getting this going he can just not plow and find a job that pays 10k for the winter and be further ahead.
    Getting another job locally and plowing snow on the side might be a good solution if he wants to get into plowing but to do it for the money on the first year is probably is mistake.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

B430....try to find a part time job around home and sub plow for extra income.
    Good luck with whatever you do

8. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

This is a profession (as I've come too see it)...with all professions there is risk, output of funds, ins. and consumables. The thing is, with doing this for 9yrs.. it is hard as hell, yet suprisingly gratifing. Can you make allot, sure! The better likelyhood is praying you can make it through with all 10 toes and fingers and hoping to make enough to keep the lights burning and the fridge filled. In a good year things are great...in a less stellar year you get pretty lean. It' tiring. I'm filled with graditude too do this profession full time! Thank God I get the chance. But, with all honesty and sincerity....

C.

9. Griffinlc

Griffinlc Junior Member

Go for it man, you'll never know unless you try. I think every profession has pros and cons. Every year, for close to 10 years now, I've had moments of thinking screw this I don't get paid enough! I promise myself I won't do it next year, but always change my mind. The next time I have one of them "moments" I'll have to remind myself " hey at least your not stuck in Alaska with a bunch a dudes, freezing your $#@! off" I'm not knockin it cause I haven't tried it, but the cab of my truck is lookin better than ever.
    Either way, good luck to ya

10. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

It's a gamble whatever route you take. If you don't plow and we end up getting a ton of snow you'll probably wish you had stayed home and bought a plow. On the other hand if you buy a plow and it doesn't snow you're not going to be happy either. If you need consistant weekly checks then plowing probably ain't it ,but over the whole winter based on your description I would buy the plow and stay home with the GF. As someone said buying the plow is a long term investment. Some years we do great and some years not so great, but at least we are calling the shots and sleeping in our own beds at night. I would prefer staying home ,there is a lot to be said for a good relationship and being your own boss. Good luck whatever you decide and let's all start the snow dance.