1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Having Second Thoughts Now Plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cobra333, Nov 30, 2006.

1. cobra333

cobra333 Junior Member

hey guys i have been reading threads for insurance and how i could get sued big time....how many of you guys havebeen sued do to slip and fall ????

And does this happen a lot in this business residential wise ???

Should i just plow driveways and dont even do sidewalks??? to avoid some risk :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Owning a Snow Plowing business is really not much different than any other type of business. Insurance is almost always mandatory.
  3. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

In every business there is a certain amount of risk... Sometimes you have to take that chance to make some extra cash... I know alot of people who have been plowing for years without special insurance and never had any incidents... Only heard rumors of bad things about people being sued... Remember believe half of what you see and none of what you hear...
  4. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Or you could look at it this way, 'what are they going to sue me for?'
    Don't own a house, truck's a lease, they going to sue me for my plow?
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Yup!! and a % if what you make for the rest of your life.....or until you pay the settlement...
    Unless you have your business set up as an LLC or equivalent.
    and your business will be bankrupt.
    but you will not be liable for the dept, your Co is..

Get the INS.........

Slip fall is a well slippery topic.. as every one knows that Mother nature is responsible for snow & Ice not us.

If you leave a windrow and some one trips/falls and breaks a hip there could be a law suite..
    If ice forms or you were not required to salt or to apply ice melt then that is different as every one knows there could be slippery spots in the winter.

You have to be negligent!!!!!
    Just because there is snow and ice on/in the lot or drive does not mean you are responsible for it. it is an act of nature...
    Most of the time the business will require you to carry INS is to cover any damage you my do to their property should you damage something..

MY co was named in a suite once my Ins did not have to pay but the restaurants Ins did.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  6. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

im beening sued now for a slip and fall 3 days after a snow storm.. i guess it was a thaw and refreeze thing, i could understand if it was one of my seasonal contracts seeing that techinoly i get paid everyday for it.. this place was one a per event contract, and i dont feel that it is my job to check on these places day to day.. i feel its managements job to check on day to day conditions and notify me if they feel that is nessecery.. i know if i sent them a bill for sanding 3 days after the snow storm they would have been like WTF!! but wheather im wrong or right it really doesnt make a difference keep in mind anybody can sue u...
  7. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Most of your slip and fall claims come from big box stores such as Wal-Mart or say K-Mart where people make a living off screwing others and abuseing the legal system.

To my knowledge I've never heard of a single residential slip and fall claim but I could be wrong or they are very rare.
  8. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Gotta remember something. If it looks like money, people will want it. But as stated, I think your slip and fall law suit people are mainly targeting the bigger locations, as they seem to think there is money to be made there. Any business has risk? That is oh so true. But think of it this way. " Nothing Ventured... Nothing Gained"
    If you never try, you are guarenteed to fail. Just cover your a@$
  9. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I am almost positive that there was a Supreme Court decision on just this very thing ...

It holds the property owner liable for the safety of there property .. and because this case involved freeze thaw cycle it found the contractor not liable ..

I believe I saw the article in a SIMA mag or website ... maybe try to search it on the Internet and hand it to you lawyer ..
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are they suing you or your company?
  11. Fin

Fin Junior Member

I talked with my agent about "slip n falls"

She claims they almost always pay out and to the average tune of about $50k.I don't know what this average is based on but she was very familiar with the subject and I did not question the amount. I was however amazed at how nuch. She said, If you don't hold the contract you will most likely not be the first in line. They will go for the deepest pockets first. She also said that my policy includes this coverage.

My agent did say that a lot of companies will not write coverage for snow removal or that you have to pay a premium for it. My policy also includes coverage for my pesticide license. I'm not with All State, but I think I'm in good hands.
  12. mole

mole Senior Member

my friend is going through a slip and fall right now, it started last year when a mail man fell in a drive way. sued home owner home owner sues snowplow guy. Just put a slip and fall clause in your contract. i got one from here two years ago. It can't hurt to have one in your contract. I know somebody will find any way to sue you but if they signed something that states your not responsible for them falling due to refreeze conditions or what not, you at least have something going into court that might help you out.