1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

having a tough time deciding on new plow for 05 f350 dually

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mcfly89, Nov 14, 2011.

1. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I've got my choices narrowed down to 2 plows. A western wideout or a Meyer 8.5' Lot Pro with multi position wings, Night saber 2 lights, joystick controls, rubber snow deflector, and trip dampening shocks. I have no need for a V as we never have deep enough drifts to utilize the capability. I do large commercial lots and need to move 4-6" snows as quickly as possible. I've been doing this in the past with an f250 and meyer st7.5. Heres my assessment.

Meyer Pros:
    Automatic Raise/lower mode
    Lighter weight
    Monarch hydro unit
    5 year bumper to bumper warranty
    nearly a foot wider than the wideout
    slightly more aggressive attack angle-the jury is out on whether this is good or not.
    4" taller moldboard carries more snow
    single plug wiring hookup
    I've had great experiences with my current Meyer units over the last 10 years.
    reliable mechanical wing settings
    package includes plow shoes
    in the case of a bent wing, plow is still operational
    0% financing!!

Meyer Cons:
    same price as wideout (although bigger plow and lots of add ons)
    stupid trailer jack on mount
    ez plus mount
    have to leave the cab to adjust wings-although they will probably stay in scoop all the time
    local dealers are 1.5 hours away and mostly ********. we dont get enough snow to demand a good dealer

Wideout Pros
    never have to leave the cab
    ultramount
    narrow transport width
    swivel lets plow stay on the ground on uneven ground. also aids in hookup on uneven ground
    reasonably priced
    i like red :)
    rebuildable controllers

Wideout Cons
    wing edges wear out in one season
    Chatter
    retracted-barely covers tracks in straight blade.
    scoop mode barely covers duals at full angle
    multiple plugs for wiring to disconnect
    2 year warranty
    shorter moldboard (29")
    does not include plow shoes
    heavy
    damaged wing could render the plow non-functional
    well documented short lifespan of controllers

Im sure Im forgetting some elements and will add them as they come. I dont buy the statements that meyer builds junk based on my own personal experience. although both brands have well documented problems and fixes.

Im interested in seeing what you guys think and seeing angles I might not have thought of.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I'm completely unimpressed with the height of the Wideout's moldboard. I just put one on my F450 and it looks like a toy. However, if my only other option was a Meyer then the choice is easy....Wideout for sure.

3. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

why anti-meyer?

4. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

People ALWAYS talk about how much they love their Western Wideouts, just my opinion. Thumbs Up

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I dont run either but from what I've heard from 2 different dealers Meyer has come a long way and they both said they're right up there with Fisher, Western and BOSS plows now. I would take the warranty, life of the plow etc. over the difference in the time it takes to mount it.

6. jbovara

jbovara Junior Member

I would install a Boss 8.5 or 9. I would install a 8.5' if I had to do drieveways. If I did not have to do driveways I would install the 9' plow

7. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

What about the blizzard 8611? It will for sure cover your tracks in any situation. These things are monsters. I have owned my 810 for 7 years now and have never had much of an issue. I broke a cutting edge that was replaced due to improper heat treating, I broke a light and a power hitch switch went bad last year. This plow is pre buy out from Douglas Dynamics but I would suggest looking into it.

8. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

i dont have any experience with blizzard, but the friends that do have complained about failures and paint. the finish on them seem to come from the factory with rust.

I love the size of the 8611 but LAWD its heavy!!

9. I have a 9 foot boss stright that I will sell to you.

10. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

not interested in a boss, but thank you.

11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I was planning on buying a Wideout to go on the 04 in my sig, but couldn't justify the extra cost over the Pro Plus with wings...

If it were me, I'd go Western Pro-Plus with wings...cheaper and less stuff to go wrong down the road.

But if you're dead set on either the Wideout or the Lot Pro, no question at all, the Wideout. We have fought Meyer plow problems for 2 seasons and I will NEVER own another yellow plow again.

12. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

a wideout makes great sense on a srw truck...but on a dually it simply seems too small in every dimension other than fully extended.

which meyer plow were you using?

13. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

if the Western had auto up/down or if the Meyer had the Ultramount...the decision would be made already.

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'm not a big Meyer fan, but I would really like to try plowing with a Lot Pro while using the auto up/down.

15. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

me too. heres my thinking...with manual wings, i will rarely if ever change their position. but its nice to have the capability if i need to.

when im in the parking lot, i will be constantly shifting forward and reverse and running the plow up and down...but if i changed wing position it MIGHT be once or twice per lot. So if i had to choose which function Id rather have automatic...i think Meyer wins that one. add the fact that with an 8.5 meyer with wings in partial scoop, its over a foot wider than the wideout in the same position. that foot will easily clear snow away from my duals.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  16. John_DeereGreen

The plow you're questioning, a Lot Pro, as well as an older E60 series pump plow. It had a new pump/motor assembly on it and no matter what I did it kept freezing up, slower than hell half the time and ok the other half.

The Lot Pro was an improvement, but it still froze several times in the course of a winter, and was slower than hell compared to our current Westerns. I personally didn't care for the auto up down "feature" either. I guess I'm just stubborn and old school and want the control myself, and it's not because I'm old...it DEFIANTLY would not be my hinge point in a decision between a Meyer and Western.

The Ultramount kills everyone else in the attachment department, as well as the plow switching everything on its own. The mounts are great and I lose ZERO ground clearance with the receiver brackets. It's brainless work to line them up, as long as you're within 2.5 inches it works perfect every time. Plug it in and it does everything...no switches to flip, no buttons to press, no stupid frozen jacks to fight with on a surprise snow, just plug 3 wires in and lift the feet up and plow snow.

I would honestly use our spare truck with a cable controlled Western than either Meyer plow we had.

Like I said, if I were in your situation, I'd buy an 8.5 or 9 foot Pro Plus and put a set of Western wings on it. I spent a LOT of time researching and comparing and looking over plows before buying the current Western's. The only thing around here that was even close to them was Boss, and I couldn't deal with the awful looking bracket and losing so much ground clearance.

What kind of dealer support do you have for the Meyer, and for the Western?

On edit...your Western dealer isn't including feet? Both of ours came with the plows, but they came off before the first flake of snow fell.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  17. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I never made the jump to the e60. and Im assuming your lot pro had the e58? both of those pumps are well known for their freezing up issues. I was still using my old e47s and after 10 years of service they finally froze up last winter. I cant blame the pump for that though, there was moisture in the fluid because I didnt change the oring seal on top BEFORE it let moisture in. From what everyone is telling me the Monarch pumps are faster and faaar more reliable than anything currently being offered by anyone.

in theory i love the up/down, but i havent used one yet. i love the slik stick and wouldnt change from it if i had a choice...but the old reliable stuff is constantly being replaced by "new ideas". some prove to be good ideas, some dont. I like everything ive seen of the new lot pro, but I value your experience with it and would like to hear more details about what you didnt like.

I totally agree. LOVE the ultramount and ground clearance was a big issue in deciding on a plow. and I hate that stupid jack meyer has on their ez plus.

The multiposition wings were what sold me on the meyer setup. western wings arent very deep and arent positionable. they would help with windrowing but wouldnt carry much snow without spilling out the sides just like a straight blade with no wings. I dont see how I could justify the expense for that little benefit.

our local dealers for both just do plow stuff as an added service to their truck body businesses. they dont know their product and dont really care to support them much. they are priced 2-3000 over what I can have it shipped to me. thats just ridiculous.

i have ONE gravel customer and id prefer to not have any. but again, its nice to have the capability in case i do need it in the future. I would have thought shoes would come with the purchase of ANY new plow.

18. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

id also like to hear from folks who have run a wideout on a dually and see what they thought

19. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

anybody? *tap tap tap* is this thing on? hehe

20. John_DeereGreen

I believe it was an E58.

The up-down in theory is a great idea, but just that, a great idea/theory. My complaint with it was partly the truck's fault and partly the plow's fault. It was on a Super Duty and the gear indicator was broken, so sometimes it would go into drive shifting from reverse before I was ready and vice versa. I ended up not using it. Pulling up and backing up to reposition was funny to watch it go up and down and up and down. I try to just lift my plows up far enough to get them off the ground unless its a sticky snow, and it always wanted to raise it all the way. I didn't mess with anything and I don't know if it's adjustable in how much it raises it automatically or not. I just quit using it.

I think you're answering your own question here and not completely knowing it...

I don't think the adjustable wings are that big of a deal either way, to me anyway. I'd want them in scoop mode all the time anyway, and this is one of the reasons I went with a straight blade over the Wideout.

My Meyer's had Pro-Wings on them, so I can't comment on the adjustable wing stuff. I personally feel that my Western wings allow me to carry as much snow as the Pro-Wings did, but I could be wrong. For the record, I do wish the wings were wider, but they seem to do just fine. I can't bring myself to cut and grind on a brand new plow, so that's what I chose. If you're worried about the wings, instead of getting Western's, buy a plow that's a foot skinnier and put a set of Pro-Wings on it. I'm guessing you know this, but the Western wings add 6 inches each, and the Pro-Wings add about 12 each.

Wow...that's insane on the overage! So you're pretty much on your own for service no matter what it seems...

Seeing that, I'd try to find the least complicated setup possible...(straight blade of some type) that way if something does go wrong it will be easier to work on yourself, and there is less to go wrong in the first place.

I'm the same way...we have one gravel lot and that's only because it's a church that came to me needing it done once and, well, you know how it goes...

Please keep in mind I'm not by any means trying to shove the Western stuff at you...I just am trying to let you know my personal experience with both brands, what I like and what I don't. Obviously you're the one that has to deal with it no matter what you buy...I just hate to see someone buy something like I did...because of the name and then have it turn into less than they expected. That's why my Lot Pro and E60 Meyer plows stayed for 2 years, long enough for me to save to get new stuff!