1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

having a problem with my 8' super duty

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Emerscape, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

i bought my 8' super duty in january of 2005 and had a problem with it at the end of the season. I mainly plow parking lots of malls and during one of the last storms of the season i was out one night pushing a lot of slush and slop. My plow started to act up while pushing and started to not respond to the controls. I would push up and it would go down and vice versa... Then the plow would not raise but would turn left to right when directed. The next storm i went to attach the plow and it would not hydraulicly raise to latch on to the truck frame so i had to disconnect the lifting piston, pull the frame up to the truck and manually engage it, then put the plow on float and pull the piston up to attach it to the frame. from there the plow operated normally. can anyone give me some advice of what might be going on... also after the first storm i cleaned out the box and put di-electrical grease on all the connections.

2. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

it should still be under warranty if i am not mistaken you have a 1 year period

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would bet that one of the solenoids is stuck. i agree just take it in and make them fix it

4. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

What about too much grease on the connecors and no metal to metal
    contact so no flow of current?
    Also 2 year warranty on Boss.

5. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I don't know if this is the same problem....But.
    My Buddy's boss V plow had a loose ground connection under the cover (by the pump I think) that gave him trouble in the first year.
    It would not mount up to the truck with the switch.

When you press the controls and the solenoids have no ground path some wierd things can happen.
    The power may travel to another solenoid (like down for example) before finding ground.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  6. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

That's what my problem was! Check your plug ins.
    Nailit

7. Pwdurhound

Pwdurhound Junior Member

Control grounding problem

I agree. As a cad/cam equipment sales/repairman, We see this problem crop up in our 3 axis motor controllers and it most often a bad ground. check the contact points of all wires and make sure no arc soot has built on loose conections and then check all wires for breakage or burnmarks/coveringblisters (a signature for failing contact nearby). Good luck

8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

it sounds like you may have some debris in your resevoir causing the solonoids to stick. since it is under warranty i would just take it in and let them deal with it. if you want to tackle it your self it isnt hard to dran, remove and clean your resevoir. if you do it your self repace both of the screens in the resevoir.
    also like has been said, check your grounds, and all of the electrical connections. even the ones on your battery.