1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

having a problem hooking up?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Red Bear, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Red Bear

Red Bear Junior Member

While driving into the plow I am having major problems . I am having a hard time getting the getting the pins to enagage. Trying to get those pins to line up and engage is very laborous . It took me alomost and hour to get the fricken thing lined up. Is there a trick? Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I have a sub that said the same thing to me about his.....I let him store it in my shop for a while, then one day he went to go hook it up and couldnt get it. So he called me and I went up to my shop and within minutes we had it. I couldnt even tell you how i did it:dizzy:....This is the only thing i dont like about the Snow Doggs.....maybe someone will chime in and give a spoiled Ultra Mount user (me) and the rest of us some tips?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

make sure you leave plenty of slack on the chain. Before you take the plow off leave the plow in float and press down on the lift cylinder. This will leave plenty of slack to put it back on. I find that if I leave the plow on a down sloap it is much harder... Also use the parking brake to keep the truck from rolling back on you! I have only hooked it up a couple times and only had to fight with it one time which was my fault for not pushing the lift cylinder down!

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not me. I like my Boss ,nice and easy.
    Just trying to help out.

7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

wasnt sure if you were being a smarta$$ ;)....thanks though.....Like i said, I like my ultra.... but my subs SD is kind of funky in the way that in hooks up, either it pops right on, or its a complete MF'er....maybe he/i need to meet at my shop and hook/unhook it, like 20 times until we figure it out :blush2:

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I think they need a how to video on their site to put on the plows. I never have any issue at all putting the plow on or off. Can do either in 30 seconds or less. I treat it just like the MDII set up from Meyer with rocking the headgear to lock the pins. Works every time like clockwork!!

9. snowjams

snowjams Junior Member

I do not even have to start the truck to hook up.I use three snowmobile dollies with the plastic double wheels on each corner,one goes under the jack and two others under each side of blade.This is all done indoors on good concrete and then i just move the headlight frame to engage.I can do this in about 3 min. Do get a good set of wheels that are strong,not cheap ones.Good luck

10. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

No problems here after I figured out to push the plow with the truck a bit to make sure it's straight on the truck. Hop out wiggle the head gear and tap the lever. Remove the jack and lock down the headgear prop bar and your ready to go.

When unmounting make sure the jack is holding the plow at the height and push the main ram down all the way for chain slake.

11. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Dont put your back out if you have to adjust the plow manually. A floor jack and pry bar will keep ya away from the chiropractor. And by the time your done you will have figured out what the problem is and make the right corrections/adjustments etc so it wont happen again.tymusic:waving:

12. KAG

KAG Senior Member

This is exactly how I do it, some days its a 3 minute process and others its a very frustrating process.

13. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Member

I think not having it level side to side is what makes it harder. If it rocks when you unhook it, it will harder to line up the next time.

I also bought some dollies so I could move it in the garage and roll it up to the truck easier, and it went on so easy I was startled. I just started to push on the headgear and it locked on.

14. gixxer27

gixxer27 Junior Member

easiest way to solve this problem; Put it out on the curb and go buy a red plow.

I had the MD75 last season and it was in the shop 5 times, took it off after the 5th, customers dont want to wait while in the shop.

15. harleyguy

harleyguy Junior Member

I know what your talking about it seems if its not competly level it won engage also i already have had issues with the jack getting bent from trying to hook up they need to come with a better design ita getting really old screwing with that darn thing .

16. Red Bear

Red Bear Junior Member

thanks for all the input. I do have the sevice manual and follow it to a t. I keep it the garage
    and the floor is level. I have pushed that thing into the fricken wall tying to get it to lock. I get down and eye ball the holes and adjust the jack , but I am always a hair off. Maybe it was me, first push of the season etc. When you guys mention pulling on the head gear are you grabbing it by the lights or the frame? It almost seems like everything has to be exactly even or else. I am fairly happy with the plow, only issue i had was recall on the mold board l and the dealer took care of that, of course i got the email and had to go to them. Thank god i registered it my self. I use it for medium duty, about 20 drives and 2 small lots. I would like a little better back drag, but no one has complained. My previous blade was a snow-way and i was a little spoiled with the down pressure system .

Thanks

17. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

gixxer27 after everything that was wrong with your md did you get your money back for plow.Or what .Mines been in twice last year and twice this year and still leaking

18. split2ndnova

split2ndnova Member

I thought I was just crazy or an idiot. Try 3 hours two days ago and a loss of work. I have discovered once you get it super close, push the light assembly as hard as you can toward the vehicle. Also throw the jack in the garbage. i use two car jacks on both sides and rest the cutting edge on a 2x4. it should go right on. That jack is bent up and I almost took a firemans axe to it. Useless imo. I love the plow whn iis on.. It just needs the right height and after a few hours and a 12 pack, you'll be all good.

19. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I have a new V blade and have' nt had any problems. Keep slack in the chain, level surface. Does your plow have the that stand so the lights don't fall back so far. I adjusted it so I don't have to lift it so far.

20. micklock

micklock Senior Member

I think this plow is easier to put on than my 1996 western. When I take the plow off the first thing I do is grab the chain with both hands and give it 3 good tugs sideways to draw the cylinder down to get some slack in the chain then I put the jack in and crank it until it lifts the front of my jeep up about a 1/2", then you just have to push back a little on the head gear to take the pressure off the pins. I took the pin mechanism off mine and I'm using two 1" pins like my Western. I think it might be a little easier to put on because I don't have to have both sides lined up perfect, I put one side in then I usually have to push the plow back against the push bar on the other side. I still have to lift up on the head gear with one hand and put the pin in with the other hand.