1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Haven't heard many people bragging about seasonal contracts this year...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowpower, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Least in the Midwest and Northeast.

Whys that?

lol

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

My customers love them.

Happy?

My customers love me because of them.

Happier?

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm happy with my seasonals, too. I've been out plowing about twice what I had the last couple winters, but still made good money. I talked to one customer about it and he's happy, even in "low snow" years, cause he can budget the plowing costs. Now I'm going to use this winter to sell even more on seasonal pricing. It's all in how you set it up and looking at the overall picture. Ideally, I'd like to have a 50/50 mix of pricing - I'm going to make money on both. It'll just be more on one or the other, depending on the amount of snow we get.

4. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

Ya same here. I only have a few but I keep getting the "thank you for saving me this winter" I take that as wow there was a lot of snow and you kept my property clear and wow this year would have killed my bank account! :dizzy:

This year for some reason I knew we were going to get hammered and I priced accordingly...about 40% higher than normal. I gave people the option of per push or seasonal and warned that it was going to be a bad year and that I was not just saying it to make some cake this year,

The gamblers took the per push risk.....the condos that have a set budget took seasonal..and only 5 homeowners took seasonal...great for them..ok for me.

I only really "lost" money on one account this year because I underestimated what a PITA it was because of the lady next door...unseen but still I should have charged more.

I made $ this year, I am only 1 guy, 1 truck and one snowblower so its been a lot of work that at times was stressful but fun.

We win some, we lose some..I had only a few seasonal accounts so I made out just fine.

5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

well my seasonal contracts have already lined me up 4 new contracts for next year. and most of my people are extremely happy one lady with the gravel drive hasnt complaind but the drive is too tight and on a main road. but they get in and out and i told her to call me if they ever had an issue. i think thats the biggest PITA drive i have but shes a nice lady. forsome reason people with the bad drives rnt usally the PITA people its the ones with normal drives who have fits for no reason. Plus my seasonals paid for my whole year of insuance plus the dedcutable for the accident and i still have some put away. It will be another year where i knew my area well enough to make bids correctly. growing up here and plowing for the last 5 seasons id like to think i can guess pretty well at the season.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I like mine too. Won't give them up. My customers like them also. They can budget for the season with no surprises.And so can I.

7. Mark Oomkes

Well snowpower\LLM\Killswitch?

We're bragging.

8. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

im not braggin about seasonals. but if you want me to i can say ive made record profits from easonals b/c we have gotton paid and havent plow much. so i havent had to pay a whole bunch of people.

9. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Over the many years I have tried both and I have come to love the seasonals. It can go either way, lots of snow and we loose $$$ and all those with per push are bragging on how much $$$ they are making, or little or no snow and we make money and listen to the per push winers. So seasonal, winter & summer, for me works great.:waving:

10. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Good yrs bad yrs eventually it all evens out , up here seasonal is the norm. Was good 4me last season very very very bad this yr. My contracts had a 250cm/ 100" cap, by xmas we had 80% of an avg yr:eek:. Financially I was dying until mid Jan when we started selling accumulation extensions now I'm treading water 360cm/ 144" so far with 20cm-60cm :help:( 8"-24") forecast for Sat. With 4 weeks of winter left I want to buy a big payloader.:sleeping: Definitely would not want per push invoicing, I have 275 sites & I'm lazy. JMO

11. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Hey Paul, I am sinking down here. None of those accumulation extensions here. Oh well, the last time it was this bad was 37 years ago. Not bad odds for seasonal, if you think about it. I will hold you on the 4 weeks of winter comment. I only start to relax after April 15th. You guys are beating us by 8cm so far. This next 1 could be between 40 and 60. I hope not more than 20 - 25. We are all running on fumes.

12. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

So Paul whats the chance you'd rent me 1 or 2 tractors for balance of winter need em tomorrow. :help:
    Tried my biggest competitor (17 tractors) and well the response was about what you'd expect:realmad: Thought cash would be helpful :angel: Of course he's the guy that I'll be at war with soon.:gunsfiring:

13. newhol plower

newhol plower Member

there are 3 kinds of seasonal. seasonal plowing salt and removal extra, seasonal plow and salt removal extra. or all inclusive never an extra charge. no caps here ether but might be a good idea to include in contract next year or try. customer can budget better when all inclusive no extras ever.

14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

for those of you that think seasonals are a bad thing, i say not if you know your numbers;)

I for one am mixed with 50% seasonal and per push commercial, seasonals being no salt and the per push are salt win/win for me. and my resi's are all seasonal this year, with salting being extra (and yes, this year people did have me come out and salt)

15. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

First year customer stopped me in the drive the last plowing and said she felt sorry for me and that I was doing such a good job. I told her simply, Thank you, but its what I do.

I love not having the paper work every time it snows,and having the cash at the beggining of the season. This heavy year is just going to make it that much easier to sell seasonals for next year.

I think you have to have a split between seasonals and per push. Helps off set each other.

How many strickly per push guys are getting complaints this year from the customer saying, "stop plowing me until the end of the storm", "I'll give you a call when I want it plowed", "how much would a seasonal contract have been?" And how many of them aren't getting paid because the customer is over budget?

16. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Say it isn't so!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. Mark Oomkes

I'd prefer to have about 60\40 seasonal\per push, but it hasn't worked out that way the last couple years. Still have made money last year and this year.

Last time we went over our average number of pushes was '93-'94, so I'm not really complaining about this year.

18. Mark Oomkes

Shhhhhh, I'm trying to not stir up trouble.