1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Have you guys seen this???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Jul 4, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yup, that sidewing has been out for years now. Do they still have the video clips of it in action on their web site? Are they still looking for distributors in the US?

~Chuck

3. SlimJim Z71

Yeah, they still have the video clips. The trucks they show in the video are haulin @$$!!! If I plowed like that on the streets around where I live, I think I'd be missing the frame of my truck...

-Tim

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

in all their videos they seem to only show it on a nissan pick up. i guess its available on others? looks like a good concept.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Plow wings are great things. I have two of them, however to be effective ya need a truck in the 30K plus gvw range. Anything less and the wing is either too small to do any good, or when ya try to move any amount of snow, the plow decides where the truck is going.

I used to have a 90 F 350 dump body, with a wing, the wing was about 16" tall. It wasn't good for much, and the truck didn't weigh enough to push old bankings back, like a big truck can.

Geoff

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Exactly Geoff, that's why none of us knows anyone who has one of these wings on a small truck.

~Chuck

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I've thought of building one for my dually, and discarded the idea for the reasons Geoff stated. Plus, it would be a real &^%$* to manouver around tight spots with it on.

I've seen pictures of pickup-series trucks with wings, but around here I've never seen a wing mounted on anything less than the 30k+ GVW series trucks.

8. SlimJim Z71

... and they have it on a NISSAN!?!?!?!?! I'm not a betting man, but I'm guessing that thing doesn't even have a 8600-lb. GVWR.

Like I said though... that would be great for long runs.

-Tim

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've seen a few around here on 2500s. In a light, fresh snow fall, they do ok. Just need to watch out for mailboxes.

10. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I have seen them too - under 15,000 GVWR, they are not, in my opinion worth the hastle. Get a bigger front blade.

Dump trucks and graders have historically mounted wings because they also pack the weight to push back the banks and have the frame strength to take the lateral pounding.

It would be like bringing a knife to a gunfight...