1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Have you guys heard?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stuffdeer, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Yeah...So I told my dad I wanted to advertise in this Neighborhood for ATV snowplowing. Well...He owns his own K9 Waste Removal Service. He does the particular sub I wanted to advertise in. He was like...There is no sense in advertising in there...All the driveways are built off heat pads. They flip a switch when it starts snowing and the driveways are like 50 degrees. I was like no WAY!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's called market research. You just eliminated one alternative that could have been an expensive waste of advertising dollars.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There popular in the high end vacation/ homes in Colorado.
    On t.v. in Co. you could see Jhon Elway (sp) in comershals selling the syestems.
  4. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I know of one heated driveway that's next to some I plow. Kind of weird to see a clear drive with steam coming off of it when all the others are full of snow. If you've got the money, why not.

Joel B.
  5. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

the 20 ft of drive leading to my shop is heated its plumed in with the shops floor heat. when it snows or gets icy i open a valve. the whole system is filled with rv antifreeze so it wont freeze when shut off. its really quite nice to lay on a warm slab when doing maintance, even when out side.
  6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

we have heated sidewalks at work. They're really nice. The computer decides what the optimum melting temp is. Usually around 38 degrees.
  7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

FYI. Since you seem young (ATV plowing) you can get away with this little trick. Especially with local neiborhoods.

The local paper is usually delivered by a young student. (!4 years old) For $20 he's usually more than willing to slip your flier in the newspaper and deliver it.
  8. aussem2

aussem2 Junior Member

heated sidewalk

by me they just built a new police station and they put in heated sidewalks i guess that was a good idea so the village guys can spend there time plowin the streets not the side walks at the station
  9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

On a side note. my grandfather was an engineer who helped designed several power plants. At one point he did a proposal that piped all the water through large pipes buried beneath the major highway system. Instead of using huge cooling towers.

If they had accepted the proposal, there would never be the need to salt or plow the highways. In turn, wear and tear would be minimal and there would be hardly any construction, which again would cut traffic.

That said, it was rejected.
  10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

That is really cool, this was for Pickering? I have heard of so many good ideas like this that the people in charge say no to for whatever reasons.

Ah well,

That is my fear that in the future the cost of heating roadways and lots will come down and make us a think of the past...
  11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I am so envious!:angry: :waving:
  12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

A bank that I plow has heated sidewalks as well.

Strange when you pull up to plow, there's 6" of snow everywhere, but the sidewalk looks like it's been salted like mad, since it's only wet.