1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Have you guys considered.........

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kentuckydiesel, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

Have you guys considered rubbing grease, lard, or oil on your snow plow blades between uses to keep the rust off? All the old farmers used to do this with their horse-drawn plows because the dirt clumps up on the plow when it's rusty. I spray my grandfather's snow plow with used motor oil and hyd. fluid cut with some diesel fuel. It's kept outside and never rusts much at all. -Phillip

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Skip ahead 25 yrars......I go to the car wash and wash off my plows, or use the pressure washer.
    As, now-a-days there are car washes in every small town.
    So, I don't see the need to cover every thing with wast oil and lard to keep them from rusting.

3. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

My grandfather (who was a farmer) used to use naval jelly to get rid of rust.

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

So is mine (farmers), my Dad, grandfather, Uncles all farmers. I wonder how much navel jelly you need to cover a fleet of plows? And the cost?
    They (farmers) have a lot of good ideas, some even work very well, but not all of them are practical in the 20th century, technology has come a long way..

5. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Would have to agree with that 100%. We find that if you keep your equipment clean and take care of it, it will last a lonf time. Sometimes we look past the problem for alternative ways, when the most practical is just a little more attention. While plows we just keep clean,take care of, and paint when needed, we tend to spend alot more time on sanders. Until we get all SS sanders (when all our steel ones have rotted out!), we sand, blast, and paint spreaders before every season. We are trying fluid film this year so far with great results, on all chains and moving parts. But as stated above, to use it on everything related to snow is just not economical. :cool:

6. Kentuckydiesel

I'm talking about applying this stuff after you wash your equipment. I always spray equipment with a mix of oil and diesel through a regular garden sprayer to keep it from rusting. it owuld take you 5 or 10 min. to spray a fleet of plows and rust wouldn't ba an issue. -Phillip

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I would think it would be a stinky, black mess with all of that waist oil and diesel sprayed allover the plow.
    I like to keep my equipment clean. The oil would just attract more dirt and grime. JMO

8. EXCESSIVE FORCE

EXCESSIVE FORCE Junior Member

You're taking about 2 different things.A moldboard plow gets "scoured"to a chrome finish by the soil,and using grease as a protectant works well.You are correct that if the plow gets rusty the dirt will clump up on the moldboard.A snowplow already has a protective coating (powdercoat,etc.)from the factory.A good wash is all you need,but at the end of the season i do spray it down with WD40.It's ALWAYS stored inside.As a side note i knew a guy who put PEANUT BUTTER on his chrome wheels one winter to keep them from rusting,and he created another problem....STRAY DOGS licking his wheels !!:dizzy: :p

9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

So do you collect the run of this oil/diesel mixture you do you just let it runn into the ground. :gunsfiring: :dizzy:

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That explains why cats kept peeing on tires & wheels.
    Haa chase me will ya!

11. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

LOL...too funny.

12. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

I'm wondering the same thing.

13. Kentuckydiesel

:rolleyes: You don't put on so much that it runs off, just a light coating. -phillip

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

That's an old method- many better uses today with less environmental impact. My father used to use cut diesel and old motor oil to keep the dust down on dirt roads years ago.....and as an undercoating on his trucks.

The moldboard, when cleaned from the salt, won't rust anything appretiable over the off season- it's the rams you need to watch out for and a coating of (fluid film this year) good grease will do it better.

Worried about snow sticking to the moldboard when plowing is a different story- anything you apply will wear off fairly quickly- WD40 lasts less than 5 minutes- Pledge about 10, white lith about 10, cooking spray about 5.

Trying Fluid film for that too. It has been said car wax works well though.