1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever piled snow in front of a non-payer's garage?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMan4U, Feb 20, 2006.

1. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Or their car? Sometimes I feel like it, but I don't think I have the seeds for it. My luck, there would be an emergency and I would be liable for something.:eek:

2. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Nope, very unprofessional IMO. But I do think late payers are easy to deal with. Next time it snows they don't get plowed, and when they call to ask why they didn't get plowed tell them you'll meet them at the driveway and after receiving payment you'll open them up.

Buck

3. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

I think the thought was funny but hard to do. I have had an experience the last few years with a lot that comes close. This is a very large lot with main parking in the front and ample parking in rear. One store is a major chain with 2 smaller stores and a small goverment agency. I now work for the owner of the property who brakes the bill down to there sq. foot and he is quite a pistol. For the last 3 years the guys in the gov. ag. i have been asking who must have 10 gov. vechicles to please park them togeather when it snows and after the lot is clear to move them back . This way i can give them a quality plowing and they can walk out in there shiny shoes and not get wet. I also explain this is for there advantage not mine i plow my own lot and it is clear me and my family enjoys the blacktop and not the snow. Do you think they will do this ? Well after a couple of years of this parking like a bunch of old women, i placed one hell of a pile of snow with in 2' of drivers side. I didnt plow him in but i know he got his pretty shoes wet. Did it help? Damn right it did they park very nice now. The owner called me and laughed and said why did you wait so long to teach them a lesson.

mike

4. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Yes.

If it's a late payer having financial troubles, you can't do this. It sucks, but it's unprofessional.

But, if you plow a flag down and they flat out say, I'm not paying! I don't plow the snow back into their driveway.

I go home, I vent to my girlfriend and then I call my friend Jim. Jim does commercial snow removal with a sizeable fleet of dump trucks. At 3am the pay refusal gets a dump truck full of snow at the bottom of his driveway. He won't refuse to pay the loader to remove the snow because that person will ask for money upfront.

I've only done this once, and will no doubt do it again if someone refuses to pay.

6. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

plowed them back

Yes I did. Got lied to, she will pay you, he will pay you, etc. etc. Then it came down to, I didn't order this, I am not paying you.

No problem, say I. I load myself back in the jeep, and I packed those folks so tight in their driveway and apron they couldn't get out without a dozer.

She called the cops on me and of course they came, but it was well worth it to me to demonstrate my resolve to collect my fees. It got around the town from some of the cops, and it made a strong point.

People who don't pay you are stealing, just the same as if they break into your house when you are out plowing and take your favorite lamp that your Aunt Minnie left you when she died. More money is stolen with the swift pen than ever was with a gun and ski mask.

7. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Crazy mike I see where the crazy part comes from!!!!!!!!! :redbounce I have threatened in the past to do this sort of thing! Did it once when we had an April 1st storm-Kind of a joke, but the client got the point---Called my wife Angrily and she told him I would be there in twenty minutes if he had a check if not that was the amount of snow that had been pushed all season with no payment--We figured we were going to get stiffed about $250--- So when I picked up the check and finished his drive--I stated April Fool's, should have seen the look on his face!---The next year I sent a letter saying I was downsizing my route and I would no longer provide the service for him!!! Had the balls to call and ask if I knew anyone that would do it!!!!!!! Some people just don't get it--Equipment cost money to purchase and upkeep! :bluebounc

8. About 30 years ago I was teaching at an elementary school and when it snowed the maintenance division would plow the parking lot clearing the public side and pushing all the snow behind the teachers cars and leave a large mound so we had to hand dig ourselves out at the end of the day. The plow crew would then come in a take a break in our break room. Talking to them did no good. One day another teacher took one of their plow Jeeps and took the bank from behind the teachers cars and plowed it to and mounded around the other plow we then put the Jeep back where they had left it but pulled the distributor wire. When they came out they had a fit. Took them hours to hand dig the buried plow out and they were scared to call their boss and admit what happened. Our cars were never plowed in again.

9. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

That was very funny.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Got to teach them a lesson sometimes to get your point accross! :yow!:

11. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

He was in a good position to "teach" them a lesson. HaHaHaHa!!!! I'm so funny

-Thann

12. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

bury the drive as a last resort.
    sound like a dead beat

john

13. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I did once.

I has plowing one drive & the neighbor begged me to plow his drive so he could go to work - he was stuck almost at the end of his drive. He claimed he was running late & asked me to get him out and his wife would pay me as soon as I got done.

I got him out, then finished the next door neighbor's drive, and then went over and finished his drive. As I was knocking on his door, the neighbor told me that 1) the guy lived alone, 2) and a big drinking problem, 3) didn't have a job & 4) had done the same thing a couple of years before to another plow driver.

Ended up plowing every ounce of snow off every driveway, the birm and the street and piled about 4 foot in the entire driveway. I made sure that there wasn't anything left anywhere that could have been pushed into his drive.

Comically, about 2 weeks later we got another big snow and the same joker came up to me and ASKED me to plow his driveway again! He didn't even remember talking to me the first time. And he promised his wife would pay me as soon as I finished.

I declined the opportunity.

14. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Man GA that one takes the cake----he tried to burn you twice!!!!!!!:redbounce purplebou ---what a loser!!!!!!!! Used the same my wife will pay you line nice!!!

15. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Never figured out if he was drunk, dumb, snow blind or combination of all of the above.

Amazing what a few years of experience will teach ya! Today I know who I plow for, know their drive or parking lot & have a lot of friends that are also my customers.

16. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

haha i woulda helped him out....i would have pushed it all straight in infront of his garage doors....stupid drunk...

17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have once....I actually was pretty proud of it.

18. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I was plowing for the town last year during a blizzard. Some kid threw a chunk of ice at my truck hitting the drivers window scaring the crap out of me. I got out of the truck and had words with him and then had words with the father. Idiot threw the ice at me from in front of his own house.
    About 3 in the morning I took the snow from the street and put it up his driveway. made a nice pile, and his cars were in the street.
    Took his son 2 days to shovel out the garage so he could get to his toys.
    :drinkup:
    This year when I plowed their street they just waved.

19. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I plow with someone elses truck so the collection isnt my problem. But I do own a small tree service. Well I had this old lady I did a very easy pine tree trim that took me 15 mins. I had told her $50. Well she left while I was working on it. Figured ok Ill send her a bill for it......well three bills later no responce.....so i just started stopping in at ALLLLL hours of the day to get paid. I could tell she was home just not answering the door. Well after 3 months of no word she got 5 loads of HUGE cottonwood at the end of her long driveway right between the fence row. I passed her house everyday only to see her car parked at the road for more than a month.

20. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

What a surprise that must have been to open your garage door and see a load of wood in your driveway. I knew another plower years ago that had a service station and ran a fleet of Jeeps, he only did driveways and got tired of getting stiffed after he sent bills out. Well one day we were talking about what he did with the ones he wasn't able to collect, and here's what he told me.
    "You know that stable down the road, well I just call them up and give them the address of the customer that wouldn't pay me and ask for a load of their "free" horse manure to be dumped in the drive". He said he would have rather of been paid but thinking of the look on there faces to find it in the driveway was worth every penny they owed him.
    :rolleyes: John...