1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever been injured while managing snow and ice?

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Have you ever been injured while managing snow and ice?

Please discuss if you have ever been injured while out in the elements managing snow and ice. If so, what happened and what are some of the things you did after it occurred? What did you learn from that and what are some of the procedures you may have implemented to possibly prevent such injuries in the future?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Never jump out of the truck expecting the pavement to be ice free...........always, always, get out slowly.

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yup.

Wasn't injured, but took one hell of a fall. I landed flat on my back, smacking my head (which I guess explains a lot of things, eh ?)

I was wearing my russian style hat with the floppy ears, and when I realized I fell, I was surrounded by women staring down at me. I just so happened to be in a driveway where a bunch of ladies were standing waiting for their kids to get out of school. I thought I was in Heaven.... or Hell when I looked up, but other than being sore, I was okay. A little dazed, wind knocked out of me, but fine.

I've since purchased a bigger hat, so when I do fall, my head is protected against the impact a little better.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  4. Michael J. Donovan

I'm sure you look quite Awesome with that new hat Thumbs Up

let's also please keep this discussion "related" to the injuries that you may have encountered...thanks all :waving:

5. Mark Oomkes

I'm serious Michael, did the same thing as Dog--minus the kewl hat--jumped out to open up a gate and went flat on my kiester and then my head. I was fortunate, no one saw me. :nod: :drinkup:

6. Michael J. Donovan

I gotta ask Mark, is this you speaking from experience ;)

7. Mark Oomkes

See above, it most certainly is, but it can't be proven.

8. Michael J. Donovan

I'm sure most of us have done the same (yes, myself included) and not a good feeling...so, great advice as a simple slip and fall like this could become a real problem, and not just from an embarrassment standpoint

9. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Well, I was sore
    Had a slight neck ache
    wind knocked out of me.

Nothing permanent, other than a bit of brame dambrage.... :dizzy:

Yeah... I'm good.Thumbs Up

My wife took a header (she's my shovel monkey) and wound up flat on her back lying in a pile of snow and ice chunks. After I stopped laughing :laughing::laughing:hysterically, I went over to help her up. She was again, a bit sore, but no real lasting injuries.

I'll be looking into a couple of sets of "cleats" that go over your boots for this season...

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Two different accidents.

Blew out my right knee, and broke my right arm.

I learned.
    Pain it temporary.
    Chicks dig scars.
    and glory is forever.

11. Mark Oomkes

I was fortunate, nothing really hurt other than my pride. (my head is too hard to hurt..........the brain is a different story) This was long before cell phones and I more than likely wouldn't have had it with me anyways. We had 2 way radios, but no one would have missed me for at least a couple hours.

I should think about investing in cleats for my sidewalk crews, icy conditions scare the crap out of me when I think of them walking around, pushing spreaders, on steps\stairways.

12. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I have done this more than once, but normally it is when I stop to run into a gas station to grab an energy drink or a snack, never when I am getting out to work! :angry:

A close call I had was last year, MA had big ice dam and roof collapse problems, so my father and I decided to go start clearing ice dams for people, well Dad is up on the roof breaking them off with a sledge when one big freakin piece of ice (about 3'x1'x1') comes flying down at me, I tried to dodge it but my feet were too deep in the snow. We had had almost all of the 8ft by then, and it was compacted to about waist deep in this guys yard. I took the chunk to the back as I failed at trying to get out of the way, needless to say my Dad didn't believe me when I said he hit me, and then laughed when he realized I was being honest. :help:

Or when I slid off the roof and landed on a picnic table clearing ice dams... Dad wouldnt bring the ladder over, said it would be a soft landing. :dizzy::nono:

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Wasn't so much while managing snow and ice but did happen in the snow. Fell and ended up landing on my wrist. Being a stubborn male species are waited to see if it would heal on its own. It didn't and almost a year after the accident ended up having a bone removed to regain use of the wrist. Now have a noticeable loss of strength. So if you do get an injury be sure to have it looked at.

IMG_20140924_080347_746.jpg

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Well, Kimber to save the day as usual.

Sure glad you chimed in, as I know that being the king of injuries, you'd be the one to bring some life to this thread.Thumbs Up

15. kimber750

If I go a week without bleeding it would be a miracle. Would of posted the drill pics but that had nothing to do with snow or ice, just my bad luck.

16. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

We had one of the signs at work that said "X Amount of days since we have seen blood" my boss took it down because i always seem to cut myself. xysport

17. kimber750

Wait a minute here Dog, didn't you break your hip going down the stairs?

18. Mark Oomkes

Just imagine what would have happened if you had further to fall.............like Buffy.

19. Lb7

Lb7 Junior Member

This is funny as well as hurt. I was tarping a bulk spreader walking backwards on an flatbed and just walked right off the back of it. landing flat on my back. Lesson, Watch for the edge of the bed :dizzy:

20. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Shin bone....:eek:

Not snow related:D