1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Have truck need a plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by canadiantowman, Sep 10, 2008.

1. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

i bought a 08 ford f-250 with a 5.4 gas motor and was thinking of putting a arctic 8.5 ft poly on it and was wondering, the yard i have to plow this year is mostly re-grind and last year when i plowed it with a blizzard it keep digging into the ground and throwing me off to the side don't want to go through that again this year. i have plowed with the arctic before on paved lots and no gravel without any problems

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss or Sno-Way v plow. Last yr was it a little warmer that the millings didn't freeze? were you applying salt to it?

3. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

we only put salt down on the part of the yard that is paved

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

is that an 8.5 straight on the 5.4? thats gonna be a turd

5. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

ok why is that,what would you suggest

6. KGRlandscapeing

Well i know that the 5.4 in the f250is under powerd in my mind. I would think an 8 ft straight would be as big as you would want to go. If it was a 350 id say V all the way but on a 250 i think you would be dissapointd in its proformance on that truck.

7. grandview

Your kidding right? I've pushed everything that has come down from 2 inches of fluff to 40 inches of wet snow .

8. KGRlandscapeing

with a 5.4? if thats the case i have the same one in my f150 i dont think it would push 40inch of snow thats just me though

And i only have a 7' 6''

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  9. grandview

5.4 in my 2002 F250 with boss 8.2 v plow.

Yes everyone has seen the pixs before.

10-12-06 snow pixs 028 (Small) (Small) (2).jpg

10. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Was that pick taken in February?:rolleyes:

11. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

12. grandview

13. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

ok i'll bite why do i need one,with our yard all i need to do is push the snow out into the middle of the rows so the bobcat can push the snow into piles.i really don't want to hang 1000 lbs off the front of my truck

14. grandview

Actually the v plow is under a 1,000 pounds.With my plow up my f250 sags 1 inch. and you don't even know it's on the truck. Now if you had a Chevy then you would know it was there.

snow 12-16-17-07 031 (Small) (Small).jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  15. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

http://www.fishersnowplows.com/modeldetail.asp?model=xv

they say it weighs 899 lbs and i would guess another 60 lbs for the mount, i noticed that the fisher and the western v-plows are the same, do you run with any ballast in the back of your truck. ( fisher says 430 lbs )

16. grandview

Nope. No weight in the back.never had a problem plowing

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

All blades are going to dig in on gravel, no matter what make. Do a search on gravel and you'll see lots of advice, on plowing it.

18. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

i did the search on gravel,lots of good suggestions. i think i have passed you place in caledon,my parents live by the graham farm

19. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

you have to use shoes on gravel no matter what!

20. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

GV, post #14 looks like it was taken before you were introduced to FF.Nice looking truck by the way.