1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Have to believe this can work

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselmadman, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dieselmadman

dieselmadman Junior Member

Hello all,

A friend of mine just purchased a 7.5' Unimount Standard plow that came off a 1996 Chevy Suburban. His intent is to put it on a 2004 Chevy Tahoe 1500. He took it to a Western Dealer wanting them to install it and they said they can't. That Western stopped making a frame mount for that old a plow and no adapter to make a newer frame fit.

My friend knows he had to buy a new frame, and was hoping some of the wiring would work. I actually hooked his plow on my 04 Silverado and it works perfectly, lights and all, so I know it can be done and that a Unimount frame is out there for him somewhere.

My question is, does anyone know where he can get a mount he needs or could the mount from the Suburban be retrofitted to work with his truck? The dealer said the model number is 3515 for his truck, but that he couldn't get one for him. And does he need all new wiring? If he does, he will buy it, just want to make sure he gets what he needs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.
  2. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I am not sure about the wiring. But if you do find a mount someone will want a lot of money for it. You can buy the ultramount frame for truck side, and also a conversion kit that will adapt the unimount to the ultramount frame. That will still be a little costly. You may be able to search craigslist, or even ebay for the correct wiring.
  3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Anything can be done..

Go to a welding shop, or someone who knows how to weld (a professional) and have them build you one or modified the one you already suburban mount.

As for the wiring, I am not saying you can not use the relay system and it might work. But I believe the year of his truck 2004 chevy should use a three mod with a 3 wire beause of the changes in the wiring.. Also he should have 270lb of more weight sitting in the back of his bed (that what western is recommending)

Like I said anything is possible..