1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

have some questions about changing stuff up

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bigmudder77, Jul 30, 2008.

1. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

ok i have a boss under carrage and i just looked at a whole plow set up for a 79-80some thing chevy but its a meyers

what kinda work would need to be done to make it work with the boss under carrage cause i dont really wanna buy a meyers one cause i got the boss one for a heck of a good deal

the plow works and so does the pump and controlls and for $300 can you really go wrong? the blade it self is worth that

but i wanna know before i get it how much would would be involved?

since i didnt get my undercarrage on the truck yet i cant see how it would hook up

also my truck is a 2002 dodge ram 1500 or i have a 1500 dodge ram 1500 that i could get plow stuff for kinda cheap but the tranny might be going on that one soon its got 180,000 and about 6 things wrong that the code scanner picked up

any one know if its worth it to do that or buy th plow sell it and got a whole boss set up?

2. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Unless you are really good with fabbing things, I wouldnt bother trying to mate a Meyer's plow to a Boss undercarriage. Totally different hook-ups from one to the other. The amount of time you would waste trying to make it work vs. just buying a new Meyer's undercarriage would save you in the long run. Just my two cents.

3. bigmudder77

from wooster

ok found out its a western and came off a 1979 chevy truck

ok i got a boss undercarrage and a western plow what do i need to make it work?

o forgot to add i got the pump and all wiring and stuff too but its off a 79 chevy truck and i dont think i can make it fit on my 02 dodge ram 1500

do i just need the part that holds the pump? or do you think i should get a whole western set up?

or if i get a boss pump holder (sorry dont know the name of it) do you think i can get the western plow on there?

or what should i do?

here is a pic of the stuff well most of it at least

[​IMG]

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need to find an obsolete Western mount. Those old conventional mounts are hard to find. It'll take a pocket full of change to make that unit work on your truck. I don't think boss ever even made a conventional. Sell the stuff in the picture and find a boss to go with your mpount.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  5. bigmudder77

from wooster

what if i put it on a 1995? i have a 1995 dodge ram 1500 but its acting like the tranny might go but i guess if i just use it for plowing family and friends drive ways who cares right? it also needs about $500 worth of front end parts steering stuff and u joints wheel hubs and the 4x4 acutator and a number 7 injector and the whole like egr system has a grounded out wire some where that might of messed it all up

the 95 i dont really care about i got it to go get wood and stuff and pretty much beat the crap out of it so any kinda welding and taking crap off that truck wont bother me much

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Boss's were originally a conventional setup but have been obsolete for many years...but they never made one for an '02 1500 Dodge anyway as they were RT3 mount long before '02.

I have to agree, until you get all these pieces to work together and fit the truck you'd be waaaay further ahead to buy a modern plow for your truck thats properly engineered for it. Your basically trying to put an antique plow on a late model truck with different brand components. An uphill (and expensive in the end) battle at best.

Don't know who all uses this truck but also be aware that a conventional mount on an airbag equipped late model truck is a big liability no no if the bags are ever needed.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  7. bigmudder77

from wooster

lol my air bags wont even go off i dont thing i messed up the switch or some thing and now the light is always on and i dont wanna spend the money to fix it air bags hurt me the last wreck i had so i dont really like them

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your passenger might think otherwise...or at least his attorney may. ;)

9. bigmudder77

from wooster

i dont take any one but the wife around so she knows and is fine with it so im not worried about it