1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

have an old meyer plow, looking to do more now

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rumblefish73, Jan 1, 2013.

1. rumblefish73

rumblefish73 Junior Member

Hey guys i'm new here and have an old 1972 Bronco 3-speed with a 6' Meyer Plow that i've used for a couple years to do our driveways and some small lots. It's pretty beat up but it works a lot better since i replaced the gas tank 2 years ago :) Also have access to several Kubota 4x4 tractors, and one does have a cab :) Have a F250SD and a 18' Equipment Trailer to haul them around.

I've been approached with the opportunity to help plow 7 apartment complexes and i'm trying to figure out a way to move the plow to a more reliable and easier truck. Options are some old beat up F250/F350 quad cab/long beds which need work but have a solid 7.3 diesel and decent tranny for pushing? or a 1985 full-size bronco that has a 351 that needs a carb and some minor work, has limited slip front and rears, would have to buy tires and a lot of little stuff. Wondering if it's worth moving the 6 footer i have over to one of these trucks or just look for another plow and leave the old 6 foot on the 1972 bronco as a backup/residential plow.

Also have a 1991 Explorer that I thought of moving the plow over to but i had read on another site that the tranny might not last long pushing snow.

thanks

2. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

A 6' plow is useless on an F250, and a quad cab or long bed will be a time loser in an apartment complex.

If the tractors are set up right, you will get A LOT more done in less time than futzing around with those trucks you listed.

Blade on a Bronco are very handy in tight places though. I've got an 8' Hiniker going on a 96 351 Bronco at the shop now.

3. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Yes

The explorer is also useless useless it has the 5.0L. and even then it's only good for doing residentials but I wouldn't trust it to push 6+ inches. They just aren't make for commercial use.

Before I start making suggestions for the trucks or Kubota's. Do you have money to invest in plows or blowers for them?

4. daman

daman Member

The quad cab would just be to big to do any maneuvering in tight residential drives so count that out. Even in big lots its a PITA IMO.

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Post #2, #3, #4 hit the target. Listen to these guys.

6. rumblefish73

First off thanks for the quick replies!

The explorer is not even the 5 liter, it's the 4 liter v-6. Ok that stays for-sale in the classifieds!

I figured the Quad Cab/Long Bed trucks may be too long and probably would be in these apartments as they are older small parking lots.

It sounds like the 1985 Bronco is going to be the truck of choice, especially since i already have possession of it. So, would the 6' blade that i have work decent on the 1985 bronco if I buy a frame mount for that or should i go ahead and try to find a larger plow blade also? Someone else I talked to locally said that the full size broncos turn fairly well.

I'm trying to avoid having to transport equipment onsite and over to each site so i'd rather fix up a truck than use one of the tractors to begin with. If we get over 10" of snow I think I'd have to break out the tractors? I'd love to get a setup to go on the Kubota with a cab. It's a L3410 with a remote front-end loader with a standard bucket right now.

I would say my budget is about $1000 for this year considering i'll be paid $100 an hour, I should make that and gas back on the first day.

Do you guys know if I have to have flashing stobe/lights/backup warning in Virginia? I have a simple yellow rotating light off of a bucket truck that I was going to drill and put on top of the Bronco with a switch inside. Also put some extra lighting under the back bumper since the reverse lights on a full size bronco are not very good.

7. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

What is your insurance requirements, you working under someone elses policy?
    Is their policy right for that?

Breakdown contingency?

VA does not really have any "requirements" for plowing if you are a private contractor off the highway, but a good amber strobe is definitely a good idea.

8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

A 6 foot plow is too small to put on any full size truck. The problem is the width of the plow won't cover the wheels. A full size truck will require a minium of 7.5 foot plow to take a big enough path to ensure while you are turning, both sides of the truck will remian on plowed area's. The best suggestion is to keep the old truck as a back-up, and locate a 7.5 or 8 foot plow for the newer truck. However if you have a 1,000 dollar budget, that will leave you about 0 dollars left to purchase a plow after you pay for your insurance. Good Luck, snowplowing is not a cheap thing to get into, and it requires lots of time, and money being dumped back into the business to keep it going.

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Are you sure its a 6' and not a 6.5'? I can't see a 6' plow fitting any vehicle bigger than a sammy. Most compact pickups need 6.5' minimum, 7' for Tacoma (largest compact available). Full size trucks take 7.5' and bigger.

One important thing that you need to straighten out in your thinking... DO NOT WORRY about the size of the engine. A 4.0 ford exploder is MORE than enough power for plowing with a truck that size (6.5' plow would work on it, not a 6.0' though). My truck has a 2.7 and I can push my 7' plow around all day in any conditions. Power is NOT a concern there. I don't know much about the exploders... does it have a FRAME? If it has a decent frame in good condition (as opposed to unibody trash), then it might make a decent plow, but you'll have to get creative with ballast, like lead blocks strapped to the 2" receiver.

Now for doing apartment complexes, there are good things and bad things about a smaller truck. The bad is that you'll be working the snot out of it. The good is that the smaller truck (especially being shorter) will be easier to manoeuvre around parked cars and through tight spaces.

10. hightop

hightop Member

With a 1K budjet, maybe you could put a set of wings on your plow, making it effectivly wider, then find a used mount for the '85 Bronco. Either that or try to find a plow on CL or something, but you know what you've got with your plow, CL is a crap-shoot!

11. rumblefish73

We've rebuilt the carb for the 1985 Bronco and now just looking for a plow for it. If you guys run across one near VA that might work for me, let me know.

In the meantime we had a small snow storm last week and I went out and got the 1972 Bronco out of storage and got it ready with tags and insurance. Ended up just plowing the driveways here. I'm going to swap out the axles with disc front and a better 9" rear and add power steering this summer and keep it as a "backup". Plowed in 2WD to keep pressure off the driveshafts when turning on pavement...

It is a 6'6" Plow and I need to get some new shoes for it. I've found CPW has the Meyer 09126 on Amazon for $24.99+$11.50 shipping or the Buyers 1303005 pair for $49.95+$15.95 shipping. Anyone have any opinions on the Buyers vs. the Meyers stock part?

12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

why do you need shoes for the plow? Unless your plowing stone drives, or lots, shoes are a waste of time. Even if your plowing stone, you can usually get away with just bumping your plow up a little bit, and forget the whole shoe cost. I haven't ran shoes on a plow for 14 years now. Just an idea, take the old ones off and you can use them as a really nice door stop.

13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I've never run shoes in the nearly 20 years I've been pushing snow. The only reason I'd use them is if I was doing gravel drives or roads.

14. rumblefish73

I do have one lot thats gravel and uneven pavement on some driveways i do so i set the shoes down just a hair lower than the blade when i do them... Otherwise I pull the off to do the rest...