1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

have a question a blade positioning

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tpiper, Dec 4, 2009.

1. tpiper

tpiper Member
    from kansas

just bought a used truck with a meyers plow on it, both are old but pretty good shape. my question is where should blade be. when i am on level cement the feet or shoes are on the ground and blade is about an inch or two off the ground. the washers are all removed and feet are as high up as they can go. does the chain linkage have something to do with this or am i not seeing something simple. any help would be appreciated.

2. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plow Site The chain could have been adjusted that way so that it wouldn't go down any further because of gravel and the other guy set it that way to build up a snow base. It's not hard to check that but it could be something more serious. Check that out and let us know.

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like your cutting edge is worn....Shoes being up all the way.. I take it you mean up from the ground...
    If there is slack in the chain then it is down...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. Sonic Buzz

Sonic Buzz Member

Well if tour cutting edge is fine then mabey your plow tripped and when it flipped back up went to far if so theres away of fixing that but first make sure you can trip your blade if not i will get back with you

5. tpiper

tpiper Member
    from kansas

thanks for the replys, sorry have been at my son's wrestling tourney all day so will check all in the morning. there is now slack in chain, and cutting edge looks to be ok. i will post my findings tomorrow. hope its an easy fix we are supposed to get 4-8 inches tuesday.

6. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

where in Kansas ,,,,Topeka here !

7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

tpiper if you post a pic we can tell ya real quick what the problem is.Welcome to the site:waving:

8. tpiper

tpiper Member
    from kansas

just south of topeka in scranton. do a little mowing in topeka and my snow removal is in carbondale and burlingame

9. tpiper

tpiper Member
    from kansas

ok i lowered the chain holding the blade up from the hydraulic pump 3 links and that took it down to maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inches off the ground.

cutting edge looks ok to me but im a rookie! i measured it from top to bottom and its approx 5 1/4" so im not sure what it is new.

the blade can be tripped forward. but could it be coming too far back? if so will adjusting the bolts that hold the springs put it just a little lower?

thanks for all your help so far you all have put me on the right track. im sure i will have many more questions in the future

10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

So the chain was holding it up after all if it went down after taking three links out of it.

Ok, just for Giggles. Put your plow in Float and push the lift ram all the way down so that there is very little of the chrome shaft showing and disconnect the chain or make sure that there is slack in it. If the blade still isn't all the way down then maybe when the plow was tripped, it went past the stops. Another thing is the A frame. Is it level and connected to the right mounting holes. I can't recall the height that it is supposed to be. I want to say around 14 1/2 inches from the ground but I may be wrong. I'm sure someone will correct me.
    Hey tpiper..... Good Luck

11. tpiper

tpiper Member
    from kansas

thanks for all the help, figured it out. the old farmer who had the truck./plow before me had welded about 3/4" of steel to the bottom of the shoes. i had found a good shoe in the truck when i was cleaning it out, now just need to buy another good shoe and i will be set. again thanks for all the help.

12. tpiper

tpiper Member
    from kansas

where in topeka can you get parts for meyers plows? i was going to try south topeka service complex in the morning but didnt know if they carry that kind of thing or if anybody else in topeka does. thanks

13. Sonic Buzz

Sonic Buzz Member

can u just take a grinding wheel and cut the pieces off. if not napa some times has parts or ebay they run around $ 30.00 a shoe or more good luck

14. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

Thats about the only place I know of in Topeka. I got two sets and rarely use them.

15. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Well you got me on that one tpiper. You said that the shoes were up as high as they go. You never said that they were flat on the ground but the plow wasn't. At least you know what the problem is. Good luck.

16. tpiper

tpiper Member
    from kansas

sorry about that after i read your post i guess i should have been more specific on that. have only had the truck a week today. have been working on it nonstop today. thanks again for the help.

17. meyer t-5

meyer t-5 Junior Member
    from erie

if u have a tractor supply near u in kansas they sell trip springs and hoses and shoes and trip spring i bolts and fluid and stuff its all the s.a.m brand stuff just thought i would let u know about that if u didnt allready know

18. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

TSC stopped selling all plow parts 2 years ago

19. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I can buy all that suff at my Tractor Supply. The display has been up all year.

Maybe I will wait till they get the word to get rid of it all and sell it at a big savings.

20. Division

Division Member

I have a similar problem with my plow i just got on my truck.... the drivers side is worn a lil more then the rest and it is up about a half inch.... i was just out pushing the slush and it just wont clean it up. Looks like im heading to the plow show tomorrow to get a new cut edge!