1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Have a problem with a customer

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by trucksareford42, Jan 15, 2008.

1. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

i have this customer who hasnt returned his contract to me. I hav sent him the contract several times over the last 2 months and have done the work on site in december. as of this past week i sent him a fax stating to him that i am suspending his snow removal until he returnes the contract, at this time i also informed him that he has a bill more than 30 days over due and sent him yet another copy of the contract. i have also called him numerous times this week and left several messages. i have not herd from him at all. i had him as a customer last year and didnt have to many problems except late paying. what should i do?

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

did he sign the same contract last year? because he apparently doesnt want to sign it this year.
    drive over and knock on his door. think you should be talking to him not your computer.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Very simple - keep plowing for free.

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

LOL :dizzy:

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

do you personally know the guy?

maybe he has had a hardship(family etc.) and has a reasonable excuse, so unless you hear one way or another i would plow it, all you have is some fuel and labor.

i guess you need to go with you're gut feeling

Bri is right to some degree you need to have face to face interaction with this guy

6. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

its the same contract from last year. We have only ever met at plow site. i thought he might be on vacation or something. as for him falling on hard times. all hes doin is signing the contract that my insurance co made me create to cover our ass.theres no up front cost o him well there wasnt when he got it in november. but thanks for the helpful replies

7. bribrius

someone at the place you plow must know who he is. is the property in his name? run it through the town for property deeds and come up with a address? check the phone book? name and address on his checks? imagine he paid with a check. you must have some way of tracking him down if he paid you for last years storms. :dizzy:
    run his name on people finder online. look at your options. so what is this place your plowing? they dont know him? i would definatley get this figured out instead of just keeping plowing. sure it is the same owner of the buildiing?

8. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

ill check all that im sure i have an address. this place is a small mall

9. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

Sounds like one of my customers... She hasn't paid for the last 5 storms so storm #6 comes along and I don't plow her out. She calls me to find out why I didn't plow her driveway, I ask her why she hasn't paid the last 5 billls I sent her, she then going off on me saying she can't believe I didn't plow her driveway just because she hasn't paid me yet. Maybe I'm wrong but the whole idea of being in this business is to provide a service and make a little money doing it. Sorry got off track there......

10. bribrius

i'm in the same position with one right now. "the checks in the mail". that was two weeks ago. might have to pay a non plowing visit.

11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

You can register a lein on his vehicle ( or something valuble) if you don't get paid.

12. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I recently sent out an invoice to a customer for $130.00 He mailed the invoice back to me with a check for $100.00 I have a feeling that it has something to do with the fact that hes a school teacher raising 3 kids by himself. So I'm going to let it go till the next invoice and see what happens.

13. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

All teachers in Dearborn, Michigan do not get pay every week. They get pay every month. Can you image it hard to fund everything with 1 month pay.

My teacher wish they would pay 1 or 2 weeks is best than month.

14. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

You can register a lein on his vehicle ( or something valuble) if you don't get paid.

15. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

pity will put you out of business . If you cant afford 2 pay then tell them 2 buy a shovel

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No different than getting paid every week, he\she still gets the same amount for the same amount of time.

It's called budgeting. Or spending less than you earn.

First thing I learned in Accounting 101 was "If you liabilities exceed your assets, your ass sets in jail". Not too difficult a concept.

17. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

don't know about Ontario, but that's generally not true in the states. In Colorado specifically you have to have made an improvement to file a lien on the property. Such as, pouring a new driveway, or resurfacing it. But just a service activity doesn't qualify. And you can't put a lien on something you didn't touch. So, since you didn't work on the car, you can't put a lien on it. (although if you did an improvement on the driveway you could put one on the property)

you can however take them to small claims court (which is another PITA)
    Or
    you can just turn it over to a collection agency after some period of time.

18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Go face to face with someone to find out what happened. He might not even own or be in charge of it any more and the current person is not saying anything because they are getting it plowed for free.

STOP PLOWING. You don't have a contract, you're not getting paid, you won't be liable if someone gets hurt.

Nothing makes a customer pay like a work stoppage. I got a customer after the season started. I sent them a contract and plowed several times. No contract or payment came back. I stopped plowing and got a call that night saying the check was signed and the contract was ready any time I wanted to pick it up.

19. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

thats what i ended up doing. but thanks for all the responses. ill let you know what happens

20. DOGHOUSE

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

I'd put the snow back payup