1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Have a Fisher Plow question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Dec 27, 2004.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Was at my sisters for Christmas. Brother in law has a 8' Fish Min. Mt. II I believe. I was looking at his plow, and noticed he had no cutting edge bolted on the thing. I mentioned it to him, and he had no idea. Said he'd have to talk to his dealer and see about it. I told him I thought a few people would run the plow without a cutting edge for a while to wear a smile into the actual trip edge, and then bolt on the cutting edge. Am I wrong here. I have seen a few Fisher plows that have the actual trip edge frame work worn right into and basically in my mind ruined. Am I way off track, or does my brother in law just not know about his plow? Thanks, Nick.

2. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

If you're brother-in-law has a standard "yellow blade", then yes, you're right. With the yellow blades (not counting the yellow X-Blade), you should wear down the trip edge a bit, then put a cutting edge on it.

Ryan

3. oldmankent

Yeah, it is yellow and it had gaping bolt holes on it screaming for a cutting edge. I don't think he has worn it down to the point of destroying it, but it is a couple years old. Can't be cheap to replace the whole trip edge part. I told him he should get a poly edge.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

lift the blade and look at the bottom of the spring perches, wear the edge down till its about into em but DONT WEAR INTO THEM!!!!

5. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Cheap??? Not in the least. The trip edge on the X-Blades (up until this year), we're equiped with a "wear bar" and would wear down to nothing in a matter of hours. A guy I plow with bought an X last year, the dealer never mentioned adding a cutting edge and the trip wore down into the cutting edge bolt holes within 18 hours of plowing large commercial lots. Needless to say he was very :angry:. We had to buy a new base angle (a.k.a. trip edge) for $500.00.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

sometimes they last a long time sometimes they dont.....depends on what kinda plow and your usage. I got a storm and a 1/2 outa mine. glad I caught it. I woulda been pissed as well. I have a V and plow wide open lots fairly quick. x blade is heavy like a V, I think this acellerates the wear.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Actually if you read Fisher's info the Speedcast era blades (aka Minute mount series) are designed to be used without a cutting edge- they intend you to wear out the kick foot and replace it. In a residential situation where you only plow a couple of driveways it would last a couple of years on average but for commercial your supposed to wear the foot in then add the cutting edge.

The site also says (or did last year) that a cutting edge is mandatory with the Xblades.

8. oldmankent

I didn't notice if he had any feet on the thing. If they intend you to use it without a cutting edge, why the hell is the thing already got bolt holes in it?

9. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The bolt on cutting edge is and always has been an accessory for Fisher plows. They come with the bolt holes prepunched so that if you need or want one it can be added easily. Many homeowners/lighter users run Fishers for years and never have to replace the base angle (trip edge) or install a cutting edge. My grandfather always had Fishers on the farm and we never replaced a base angle or put on a trip edge. We did however use (and wear out shoes since they had a 1/2 mile long gravel driveway. Not using the accessory cutting edge saves weight (weight=wear) on the front end of the truck.

10. oldmankent

So you have to use the shoes to avoid wearing the edge down too much. So over the course of the season you must have to adjust the shoes down bit by bit as the geet worn out right? Seems like a pain in the ass.

11. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

You are reading way to much into this. We were using the shoes only because we were plowing a 1/2 mile long gravel drive and a grass airstrip. Most people running Fishers take the shoes off the day they bring it home. I keep mine in the bed of the truck and only use them when I plow the back yard to get to my snowmobile trailer.

You seem hung up on this being a poor design. Well, Fisher has made their blades this way for more than 40 years and they still sell everyone they make every year.

12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The trip edge is designed to be a wear item. Once it's worn a couple of inches, you can put an edge on it or replace the trip edge. That is why the holes are there. I have a 7.5' that I got new four years ago and have not worn it enough to put an edge on it (I want to put a urethane edge on it). I also have a 9' that I got used a couple of years ago that has a steel edge on it.

Just run the plow as it is and put an edge on it after it's worn off a couple of inches or keep plowing with it. Just watch so you don't wear into the springs.