1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Have a 1/2 ton and want a blade?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jjmcnace, Jan 14, 2009.

1. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

I have a 1998 Sierra Classic with a 5.7L extended cab,4X4, 6.5' box.

Here are the axle ratings:

Minimum FGAWR: 3925
    Minimum RGAWR: 3750
    Minimum GVWR: 6200

truck has a transmission cooler also.

When I go to http://www.westernplows.com and use their Quickmatch link they say that I can only put a 7.5' Ultra Midweight plow on this truck. This plow only has 2 trip springs. I really want a little heavier duty plow, can't I put a 7.5' Pro-Plow on this truck? I see other 1/2 ton Chevys with older Western Unimount blades with 4 trip springs.

2. Honest Mike

Honest Mike Member

Not sure this helps you or not, but I use to have a 1992 1/2 ton regular cab shortbed Chevy and I had a Uni Mount 7.5' Pro Plow on that truck since day 1. It handled the plow just fine without Timbrens, but I added them anyway for the heck of it. That truck plowed great, plowed any amount of snow I ever asked it to. Been through blizzards and all. You should be fine.

3. Cromer_22

Cromer_22 Junior Member

i have a 04 ram 1500 i have used the mid weight poly for two seasons commercially and it has worked like a charm it rarely trips the 2 springs unless you drive like a ******!!! its nice light and very nimble and it only weighs in at 532#

4. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

Thanks for the input Cromer. I see trucks all over town that have blades that are too big for them. It's obvious when you see one. I really like Western blades so want to stick with that brand so if I'm stuck with the midweight poly it sounds like it will work. This truck and plow will be my backup in case my main truck and or plow goes down. That would be bad to have a breakdown in the middle of the night. I have 10 commercial accounts ranging in size from 1.25 acres to 1/4 acre.

Thanks a lot.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

A lot of people underestimate the strength of the 88-98 trucks. IMHO, they are the stoutest of ANY independent front ended truck. 1/2 tons can even hold their own. I ran an 8' 4 spring Unimount on a 1990 1500 for some time and it handled it well. I'd never waste my time on anything smaller myself.

6. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

How many times do we have to tell you guys, it's not the trucks, it's the lawyers!!!
    Western and the other plow manufactures are afraid to hang a blade on a truck because it changes the center of gravity, and the braking bias, and has to meet FEDERAL crash data. Trust me, it's not that the trucks can't take them, necesarily.

7. vikingfan

vikingfan Junior Member

I wish I knew of this site in November. It took me til now to find a freakin 3/4 ton 4x4, that i could afford.
    Thank everyone on this site.

8. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

I love my Western Midweight. No Complaints. Keep in mind........its not that the truck cant handle the pro series, but the wear and tear over time. Midweight is a standard duty plow, but not a cute lil suburbanite or homesteader. Take it easy and it'll do just what you want it to

9. mrplow5885

mrplow5885 Junior Member

i have a 97 1500 suburban and im running a 7'6" ultra with prowings and it does just fine.

10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

get the 7'6" pro-plus....don;t bother with anything else....then get timbrens for your truck...

11. Cromer_22

Cromer_22 Junior Member

If you have 800 bucks to waste every year on wheel bearings then get the pro with 2 extra trip springs oh ands dont forget the shock absorber on it also

12. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

Get the Pro plow. you will not be sorry. I have a 1500 crew cab 2005 with the 7'-6" pro. Added timbrens and cranked T-bars up.Truck holds the weight fine. 4 winters and plowing strong glad i chose the pro over the midweight. just add weight behind the rear wheels and you will be fine. nothing beats the pro plow.:drinkup:

13. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Get the pro plow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

I got the Poly Pro installed 2 weeks ago. Put Timbrens on the front and adjusted the torsion bars about 3 turns, also have 600lbs of ballast behind the rear axle. The truck carries the blade quite well.

This truck is primarily going to be my back-up. Maybe used on some small lots (around 1/2 acres).

Thanks for all the help and input.