1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Haunted UniMount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by SnowMatt13, Nov 28, 2010.

1. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Here's the issue:

I have a UniMount that I did a complete rebuild on.
    I basically inspected every inch of this thing. Many o-rings needed to be replaced.
    All cartriges looked good and I replaced all 3 coils.
    Hooked everything up and plow went left for every function.

Figured the unit may be a little low after filling the cylinders back up so I topped off fluid.
    Went and tried it again and the motor just ran for every function.

So....I checked my mechanics guide and it said the S2 cartridge was stuck shifted for angling left when raise function was selected.
    Also said S3 cartridge was stuck shifted for angling left when angle right function was selected.
    I was going to pressure test system but it had good pressure the first time to angle it left.

So my question is where to start first.
    Drain fluid and check pump filter for clogs? ( I doubt it)
    Individual cartridge tests?

Does it matter where the power/ground wires are attached on the coils? All the diagrams I look at it doesn't appear so.
    Do the coils have a specific way to be installed? One end was metal and the other plastic where it slid over the cartirdge.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Try using a different controller.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check the cartridges first Matt and see if they're both stuck. If they look ok then move on to the controller itself or issue in the grill connector...both are very common causes.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'd guess Grill connectors, very common problem.

5. SnowMatt13

I tried 3 controllers and got the same response from all of them.
    I know the truckside harness is good.
    Thanks B&B, I will check the cartridges then move to the plowside harness.

Thanks guys for your help.:)

6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

If you have another plow truck or plow try hooking up to another to try and eliminate either truckside or plowside.

7. SnowMatt13

That's what I did.
    I used my personal truck to hook up to it and everything on it is good.

I did happen to see right behind the plug where the wires come out on the plowside harness, the cover is wore off and so is the sheath on one wire, so I'm going to start with a new harness.