1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Haunted MVP 3 Plow?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by -david-, Sep 9, 2016.

1. -david-

-david- Junior Member

My first ‘real’ truck plow so I’m not sure if this is normal or if I’m doing something wrong.

When I unload the plow:

[​IMG]

Within a month or so……

[​IMG]

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

All I can say is that doesn't happen on my Western MVP (about 8 years old). The warm summer air must somehow be expanding the fluid, or air in it? Seems odd. Put in on the truck and move it all around to use all of the cylinders, then take it off and see if it happens again.

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Oh.....and it's not anything you're doing wrong. Shouldn't move once it's unhooked.

4. -david-

-david- Junior Member

I actually did hook it up and ran it through a few full cycles the first time it happened. Also made sure it was in float last time I disconnected.

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Suggest you take it back to the dealer just to have it checked out since it's brand new. Don't want it to be something that will cause problems once you're actually plowing. May be nothing, but it's not normal so better safe than sorry.

6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I'm not sure I understand your? Are you saying it moved to the vee position unhooked from the truck?

7. -david-

-david- Junior Member

Exactly. Picture one is how it came of the truck. Picture two is how it is about a month later. During that time between the pictures the plow has not been touched.

8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Is your plow low in the middle where it allows the wings move? I would lift it back up and use two pcs of wood (one on each side) and see if it still moves.

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Did they install the vent cap in top of reservoir? Is it clogged? Should open around 5psi.

10. -david-

-david- Junior Member

Yes, the middle is lower and in the after picture is the only point of contact with the board.

11. -david-

-david- Junior Member

This I don't know. But don't remember being told anything about a vent when they installed it.

12. kimber750

Should be a grey plastic on top of pump. These plows come shipped with a pipe plug in the opening. The vent is designed to keep some pressure in the pump so that moisture doesn't enter. If vent is not there pressure can build in hydraulics and do all kinds of weird things. If it is there and not clogged it could be how it is sitting like Lapeer said. Could be debris in relief valves or not set properly. Hook plow up and lift it up. Get out and try and move the wings, keep feet clear of blade. If you can move wings you have issue with reliefs, if not I am running out of ideas.

FredG likes this.
  13. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

14. -david-

-david- Junior Member

The wings can't be moved by hand.

This is what I have. Don't 'think' its vented.

[​IMG]

15. kimber750

Yes that is the vent. Unscrew it is if it is plugged/clogged.

16. kimber750

Also a good time to check that fluid is full. Wings must be all the back and lift ram all the way down to check fluid.
    Should be at the bottom of the opening on side with pipe plug.

17. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Is driveway slooped where the plow is setting? Maybe just a gravity thing, I would think the wings should hold but maybe not. Also when unhooking from the truck I always put the plow in float and before I disconnect I push the lift ram down. This will make it easier to reconnect to the plow and keeps the ram out of the weather.

18. -david-

-david- Junior Member

What do you mean by 'push the lift ram down'?

The driveway is pretty level.

19. kimber750

Put in float, get out of truck and push lift arm all the way down.

20. -david-

-david- Junior Member

I do put in float before taking it off but never pushed anything else. Nor did I know I was suppose to. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Do you mean the two horizontal Pistons?