1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hauling Snow???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rusty_keg_3, Dec 15, 2009.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

I will make it short, and anwser questions, and give more details if needed...

One of my brothers is VP of a construction company, and owns a trucking company (dump trucks). In the winter work is kinda slow.

So, is their really a need for snow hauling?
    How do they pay? Hour, Amount, Ect....
    Where do you dump the snow? Do they usually have a site, or do you have to find a place?
    Is it worth the time and money?

Heres a few pics of his trucks, since some people like threads with pics better... The White Ford F650 isnt a dump, it has a service body... The Yellow is his Pete, quad axle, the Red Ford L9000, has 3 axles. And the other red truck (i think its a Mack) is a friends... He had a black L9000 and a tire blew and it flipped end over end (with full load), so he is borrowing one from a friend... Not much, but they make him good money...

Trucks.jpg

2. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

The guy that I have a contract in place with charges by the hour and he finds a place to dump it

3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

With Snow "Removal" your likely using more more expensive equipment like loaders, and large dump trucks...so the pay reflects that.

You gotta find the contracts that want snow removed from the property...

And like dfd...the guy I know that does it charges by the hour...and there are several sites to dump around the denver metro.

4. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

The only time the company I work for hauls off snow is if we have a big blizzard and the piles are taking up too many parking spaces, or if we get multiple big storms that cause the same problem. We use to dump in a large field at one of our properties, but we lost that contract so I am not sure where it will go if needed to be hauled.

5. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

Snow removal is big money in areas that receive significant snowfall amounts. we're a construction company too, and usually both of our tri-axle dumps work around 75-100 hours hauling snow a season. generally customers pay by the hour and pay timeframe is usually good. If you pick up a job outright, you might be able to get $90 per hour with your truck, if you work for another snowplow company you might be in there for less so that they can might a small cut off of you, but i'd call all the local plow guys you can to throw yoru name and services out there

6. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

snow hauling has been good to us. one of our accounts has a zero tolerance for snow piles on the property. we have to remove all of the freshly fallen snow within approx 72 hrs (the faster we get it out the more hours we work because less snow melts). we do it by the hour and we run two trucks and a loader.

7. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

the red one on the end looks like an international.

looks like he can haul a lot of snow!

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We have one job that has zero tolerance for piles, we have to haul out every time it snows, the location is close to our shop, therefore we are dumping here, for other properties, we find vacant lots, contact the owners, etc. all of this work (loader hours and truck hours) gets billed on an hourly basis, if you have a nice close dump site, 2 dump trucks at a time are sufficient, the further the dump site the more trucks you need.

9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I just got done hauling off one of my bigger accounts last night.

Roughly 200 loads, Hauled with 7 trucks, 2 loaders loading and one pushing up the hauled snow at the snow dump. We got roughly 8 Hours in last night, all billed hourly for each piece of equipment.

Over all, a real good paycheck.

J.

10. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We haul most sites. Some have a field or area near a retention pond to dump the snow. Some sites have us haul it from one side to the other, and some have it completly hauled off property.

We Look for hauling work all winter and do alright. So we have work at non snow times.

Call the city the business is in and say you are working for them and they need a place to dump snow. Alot of cities like the business in them and will give you a site to dump at. Its all by the hour.

Also Parking ramps are probably the best. You plow them then they either have to be off loaded over the side our hauled. Most have low weight ratings so need the snow gone and require smaller S/A dump trucks to do it. Smaller truck means more loads more time and more money.

11. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I'm kinda thinking I know the answer already, but if you haul away snow with a dump truck, can you dump it off a bridge into a ravine or river in a non busy area? I know what the PC answer would be, but anyone have an answer for this?

12. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

city of rochester lets us dump into the genesee river as long as you haul when they are cleaning up streets themselves. they hate opening up the gates to the river for just one or two people

13. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Ok, thanks for the info, we dont have loaders, but if he got into it, he might rent us a front end loader... I never thought about a river, if he had to find a place, he has a LOTS of land...

And i dont know what the one red truck is, but you say International, your guess is better than mine...

14. dan67

dan67 Member

Are city plows the snow to the middle of the roads then remove at night, they use sub's for the hauling. The have site around the area for snow dumping and pay buy the going rate/hour.