1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hauling snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Lad, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I hate asking this kind of question - since I'm the first one to say to someone it depends on your cost of doing business and your market area.

But here goes anyways. I have not hauled snow before. We did this for a customer at his request. He did not ask for a quote as we have a good relationship - just haul the snow.

A skid steer, two 1 ton dumps (3 men) took about 4.0 hours (1 hour the night before when the cops shut us down for noise violation, and 3 hours the next morning) to move about 35 dump truck loads down the street to an empty lot that the customer owns.

I've already billed him - but I'm curious as a price check what others might charge for this to see if I'm in the right ball park. If we used larger equipment we could have been done quicker, but there are space constraints (tight lot) and we had to do it in the morning as traffic was rolling in since we couldn't begin until 7 am due to noise violations. So skid and 1 ton dumps fit into the traffic flow okay.

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

rates vary... I would

60 - 100 hr for the skid steer.

Whatever you shoot for on an hourly rate plowing is what I would charge for the dumps... probably your plow trucks any ways.

Howard
    \

3. Sno

Sno Senior Member

You recieved 35 truck loads of snow in Cleveland??

Must have missed us!

:(

4. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

You got shut down "plowing" moving snow?

Keep that word handy the next time the muni truck makes to much noise going down the highway.

I agree on the plow truck pricing.

At least use your hourly rate for each machine.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Here in NJ that would be $800 - $1200 easily.

~Chuck

6. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. I think the hourly plow rate is a good idea plus the cost of the skid steer. We did it "off"hours - so it wasn't an inconvenient thing, or it didn't compete with snow plowing.

The BS thing with the ordinance is that city plow vehicles are exempt since it's considered emergency work, however, plow contractors can get shut down due to noise complaints. The cops don't shut you down plowing, but they were there in a hurry with the occassional banging from the skid steer (more novice operator - me) and the back up beakon. I suppose if I unplugged that and learned how to be more gentle easing the lift arms down I'd be in better shape.

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I have had to haul snow away in the middle of the night and never been shut down.

Guess it depends on your location and local ordinances. The hospital I work for usually hauls away several times a winter.
    ( we need every parking space we can get) Of course the only time we can haul is in the middle of the night so we do. This hospital sits in a residential area, so we do have lots of neighbors.

One thing I insist on is good equipment. Loaders and triaxles are load normally, but there is no need for blown exhausts or other loud noises, or tear assing out of the lot at full speed. I have gone as far as having the contractors disable back up alarms in the middle of the night.

As far as banging bobcat, sounds like your operator needs to practice a little more.

Its far better to haul during off hours, since its less inconvienent to your customer and the roads arent so busy, so it takes less time for your truck to return.

Good Luck

8. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I'd say Chuck is right on. I'd probably charge around $75-$80 per hour for each piece since you had 12 hours. I'd charge a little higher if you had half those hours or so.

I'd still charge the same hourly during the day and expect an increase in revenue for the same given amount of work due to traffic, etc. I wouldn't go higher than that because I don't feel a 1 ton is worth $100 an hour when it comes to hauling snow. Others may disagree.

A one ton is much better suited to plowing than hauling snow. In light of that fact, I would probably charge about 75% of what I would want to get as an hourly minimum plowing. On the otherhand, if you are missing out on plowing, gotta charge what the truck would make plowing or you are only hurting yourself.

9. ffshuter

ffshuter Junior Member

Charge per hour for equipment and operator. Charge the same as if you are hauling and spreading (or moving top soil ). Charge per hour for trucking.

10. John from OH

John from OH Member

We wired in toggle switches to disable our back up alarms. We turn them off at 9PM and turn them back on at 7Am. You do have to monitor employees so that the alarms are in fact activated at the set time. With a small fleet, a simple call on the radio to turn them back on works. I have qualms about disabling any safety system, but since many commercial accounts are in residential areas and we do service some residential accounts, I try to respect the neighbors peace and quiet at night. During the day time, I think the alarms are necessary. After snow season, I unwire the switches and direct wire the alarms so they can not be disabled.